[cla-oa] Open Access Policy Options

  • From: Heather Morrison <heatherm@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cla-oa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2009 11:10:30 -0800

**      with apologies for cross-posting        **

Are you working with funding agencies, faculty associations or university administrators on open access policy? If so, Peter Suber's Open Access Policy Options for Funding Agencies and Universities is a great resource to read, and point to:
http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/fos/newsletter/02-02-09.htm#choicepoints

If you know anyone who is working on OA policy, I would be more than happy to provide advice on the policy or policy development.

If you'd like to encourage OA policy but are not sure how to go about it, some thoughts:

Talk to someone at your research office. Do they know about existing and forthcoming OA policies (e.g. NSERC)? Do they have any advice? Could they use support from the library - this could be as simple as a web page for researchers on what policies are out there, and how to comply.

What about the faculty association? Would this be a good place to start to talk about Harvard-style policies?

If anyone is working towards OA policy, I would love to hear from you, on or off list. I suspect many on this list would appreciate hearing about OA initiatives across Canada in general, not just policy. Is anyone hosting workshops on scholarly communication, OA, author's rights / copyright? To send messages to the list, send to cla-oa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Any opinion expressed in this e-mail is that of the author alone, and does not represent the opinion or policy of BC Electronic Library Network or Simon Fraser University Library.

best,

Heather Morrison
The Imaginary Journal of Poetic Economics
http://poeticeconomics.blogspot.com