[citansdnd] Re: Party gold

  • From: Steve Bartalamay <lanzlo@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: citansdnd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 12:25:29 -0800

The gems are a lvl 2 item. I would be willing to have the party buy one or two of these, if nothing else than to allow effective communication. Also, if Casey allows it, he could grant the characters who don't speak Eastern Common a 'free language', altho not very proficient with it... since they're in a total immersion environment with the language. It's up to Casey.

As it stands, I can wait with my choices of items... even going so far as to have a simple +1 short sword with the provision that I can enchant it to a Duelist weapon later. (Which is possible)

On Nov 17, 2009, at 10:42 PM, Don Edwards wrote:

On 16 Nov 2009 at 13:53, Diana Jakobs wrote:

I think the party should really think about investing in (at least)
one or two of these items:

Gem of Colloquy (Adventurer's Vault)

This jewel hovers near your head, sharpening your wit and expanding
your knowledge of languages.

Level: 2

Price: 520 gp

Item Slot: Head

Property: Gain a +1 item bonus to Bluff and Diplomacy checks.
Understand and speak 1 additional language, chosen at the time of the
gem´s creation. At the very least our diplomat Invoker (Ray's
character) should have one, (and could loan it out to others as
needed) and perhaps Don's character as well.  I'd be tempted to call
this a party purchase, so they would be free to get something of their
own.

Thoughts?

I think it sounds like an idea worth considering. Although buying
even one of these means we can buy fewer level-3 items. Everyone has
something they want to buy now or set aside money for, right?

Gems     Level2    Level3
  1            2            5
  2            5            2
  3            7            0

(Meaning: if we buy 1 gem, then to buy seven other things at least
two of them must be level2 and the rest can be level3.)

A tradeoff in the other direction: let's assume we decide that one
person's level4 request is good enough for the party to be a good use
of our currently limited resources.

Gems    Level2   Level3    Level4
  0           0           6           1
  1           3           3           1
  2           6           0           1

If we decide that Berrian needs to speak Western Common, then I will
definitely go for a level2 item for him. The second item on my want-
list, for example.

"Laugh…and the world laughs with you. Laugh hysterically, for no apparent reason, and they’ll leave you alone."

Steve Bartalamay
lanzlo@xxxxxxxxxxx