[citansdnd] Party gold

  • From: "Don Edwards" <warrl@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: citansdnd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 22:42:36 -0800

On 16 Nov 2009 at 13:53, Diana Jakobs wrote:

>I think the party should really think about investing in (at least)
>one or two of these items:
>

> Gem of Colloquy (Adventurer's Vault)
>
> This jewel hovers near your head, sharpening your wit and expanding
> your knowledge of languages.
>
> Level: 2
>
> Price: 520 gp
>
> Item Slot: Head
>
> Property: Gain a +1 item bonus to Bluff and Diplomacy checks.
> Understand and speak 1 additional language, chosen at the time of the
> gem´s creation. At the very least our diplomat Invoker (Ray's
> character) should have one, (and could loan it out to others as
> needed) and perhaps Don's character as well.  I'd be tempted to call
> this a party purchase, so they would be free to get something of their
> own.
>
> Thoughts?

I think it sounds like an idea worth considering. Although buying
even one of these means we can buy fewer level-3 items. Everyone has
something they want to buy now or set aside money for, right?

Gems     Level2    Level3
   1            2            5
   2            5            2
   3            7            0

(Meaning: if we buy 1 gem, then to buy seven other things at least
two of them must be level2 and the rest can be level3.)

A tradeoff in the other direction: let's assume we decide that one
person's level4 request is good enough for the party to be a good use
of our currently limited resources.

Gems    Level2   Level3    Level4
   0           0           6           1
   1           3           3           1
   2           6           0           1

If we decide that Berrian needs to speak Western Common, then I will
definitely go for a level2 item for him. The second item on my want-
list, for example.