[ciscomgr] Re: time to lay down the law?

  • From: Merlin Gillespie <mgillespie@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ciscomgr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 10:02:11 +0000

Quoting Rupert Spencer (rupertspencer@xxxxxxxxxxx):

First of all, I want to ask you all to put in a good word for me if you are
related to Natalie Portman, Eliza Dushku, Claire Forlani or Shannon Elizabeth.

> While the goatse.cx links didn't need to be given, the guy did deserve a
> trout slap - his legitimate question was easily answered by a simple search,
> instead of asking for it to be handed to him on a silver platter. "nat 1700"
> returns 187  hits on public cco and the first hit had a configuration
> example.Grounds for BAR in my opinion.

Secondly, I agree that pushing people towards links such as these is all well
and good if someone comes in and A. says "HY I AM WANT IRCOP PLZZZZZ" or "can
someone give me a copy of boson router simulator + crack please". However,
having been in the past on the regular recieving end of useful help when the fan
has fallen into the shit I can wholeheartedly relate to that poor fuckers
reaction. Whether you can search for something on CCO or not, is irrelevant.
Tell him
that it is available on cisco then halt. if it's a her, tell her how to do it.
Being made fun of when you are in a jam does not help you feel positive and can
lead to random shootings in schools, road rage, assault and battery and most of
all child molestation. Whether we are here primarily to have fun and secondarily
to help or primarily to help and secondarily to have fun is moot. Our incentives
are roughly the same and helping is included in the top two. Helping, and being
unncessarily unhelpful without provocation are both mutually exclusive.

> Still, Kafka's actions violate rule #1 (dont be a dick when u wearing the @)
> of the 11 channel commandments, and maybe #7 as well (dont abuse for
> legitimate questions) tho see above, I would consider this question very
> borderline or  grey area since the first hit on CCO answered it.

I still quite like kafka, even though he's been acting increasingly like dos622
over the past little while.
Loph, however, his parents didn't love him enough, he's bitter and angry at the
world. He's going to councilling now and I am confident that with the right
drugs, he'll relax. We just need to tell him that it isn't his fault once in a
while. Also, it's useful having someone around that knows multicast inside out.

> It might be that some people just have to be told directly DO NOT POST LINKS
> TO FAGGOTRY in the channel, since they obviously either cant put 2 and 2
> together or ignore the rule #1 totally.

I think that the best action in this case would be to send a polite "please do
not post links to goatse.cx or any other equally faggy places with a undertone
of "prepare to experience a kick in the nuts if you do".

A bean toast

-merl

--
 Merlin Gillespie..........................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
 Network Systems Engineer.........................for Home & Business