[cisb102su01] What I learned on Telnet, question 4

  • From: "Doug Dallas" <ddallas159@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <cisb102su01@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2002 12:51:12 -0500

I learned about Telnet and its features at
http://www.htmlgoodies.com/beyond/telnet.html.  A very informative site.
Telnet is called that because it used telephone lines to connect to the
internet.  You enter commands at the telnet prompt that the host allows
to access various info.
The telnet I tried was 134.4.10.106 with the password NED.  When I hit
the T to bring up a option screen I was impressed by the info choices
available.  It was NASA/IPC.  I could find star location, planet info
and such by name or map, it was real nice.  The options were objects,
data, literature, and session/misc.  I learned  that everything is dos
like and has numbers or letters for commands.

Sheryl Bass went to the Library of Congress and accessed the help
command menu and pointed out how helpful it was to her.  A very good
point for people new to telnet like myself.

Sincerely,

Doug Dallas

"What we do in life, echoes an eternity."  From movie Gladiator
ddallas159@xxxxxxxxxxxxx