[cisb102sp04] lesson 4 question 6

  • From: snookb@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: cisb102sp04@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 20:31:27 -0500 (EST)

I found out that the term "TELNET" refers to a specific protocol that provides
remote computer access. The word telnet is short for Telephone Networking, this
was later shortened to Telnet and now relates to any networked connection.
Telnet allows for remote access of a computer and to provide the ability to
instruct that computer to create, edit, execute, and delete files just as if
the user were sitting at that computer. This means that once you are logged
into that computer you can do anything, as if you were sitting looking at the
desktop. I found this from the web site listed below:-
http://oregonstate.edu/cws/tutorials/command-shell/#whatistelnet

I also went to telnet:///140.147.254.3 the telnet address for the library of
congress. Telnet is extremely dated it comes up in a dos window. It only allows
you to do a few things and in the case of the library of congress telnet site
it refers you to their web site www.loc.gov. Its a long time since I have seen
a Dos screen. I almost forgot that they existed.

Ben Snook
CISB 102 student
snookb@xxxxxxxxxxxx
"I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true
meaning of its creed - we hold these truths to be self-evident that all men are
created equal."- Martin Luther King Jr