[cisb102sp04] Universal Access

  • From: "Sue Brooks" <suebrooks@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "CISB 102 Listserv" <cisb102sp04@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 09:53:47 -0500

Universal Access has been a topic of concern for many recently. I have seen
this as more of a concern for access for children in school systems. I could
understand that children that didn't learn to use the Internet and have access
to the information that is available on the Internet would be left behind. Lack
of computer skills would place them at a disadvantage when they are adults
competing in the job market.
Recently, I read an article in the Lansing State Journal
http://www.lsj.com/columnists/schneider/040214_john_1b.html.
It spoke of how paper returns will be processed more slowly than in previous
years. Their refunds will be delayed. Elderly people are typically without
Internet access and file paper returns. This is true for those that do their
own filing. I know that many of the tax preparer's offer electronic filing. In
fact, many are being required to e-file returns by the State of Michigan. Here
are the benefits of e-filing according to the state
http://www.michigan.gov/treasury/1,1607,7-121-1748_1904_2010-74961--,00.html.
Note that refunds can be expected within 7 business days.

Internet is becoming more and more the best way to get things done with other
backup methods less convenient. Where universal access now if not only
important because it gives equal access to information, it gives equal access
to services.

Sue Brooks, Brooks Computers for Business
suebrooks@xxxxxxxxxxx

"Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success.
If you love what you are doing, you will be successful."
Albert Schweitzer