[cisb102sp04] Lesson 4, Q6 Telnet

  • From: "Janice Snell" <jsnell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "class" <cisb102sp04@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 07:22:32 -0500

I looked at three different web sites to try to understand Telnet.  From what I
learned, Telnet is a system that uses telephones and networks in order to
connect with computers.  Depending on how the Telnet is set up, information
could only run one way.  If you want to find out more you can go to
http://suport.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q231866&;,
http://oregonstate.edu/cws/tutorials/command-shell, or
http://www.htmlgoodies.com/beyond/telnet.html.

I practiced using Telnet at telnet://140.147.254.3.  This was the Library of
Congress.  I was able to type in the number from the menu and navigate the
system pretty easily.  I noticed that Telnet is very plain and no graphics.  It
was boring to look at and the font was "computer printout" looking.  I don't
know how else to put it.  I guess I'm glad for the WWW.

Janice Snell
jsnell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
" No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted"  Aesop