[cisb102sp04] Lesson 3 Question 5 Chain Letters & Hoaxes

  • From: "Sue Brooks" <suebrooks@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "CISB 102 Listserv" <cisb102sp04@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 08:06:23 -0500

Chain Letters:
I found this interesting walking man chain letter:
http://hoaxbusters.ciac.org/HBChainLetters.shtml#walkingman
I have received several chain letters through the years. Most have not been
sent out of friendship. I don't respond to them because I have had the policy
of not responding to chain letters that are sent via the postal service or via
e-mail. Since the one's that I have received have been sent to express
friendship, I have had a mixed feeling about not responding. I feel almost like
I am slapping my friends in the face. :(

Hoaxes:
I found the The WTC Survivor Hoax disturbing. If one receives this e-mail they
should just delete it and not pass it on.  In general these hoaxes cause people
allot of concern and worry. People don't know how to check out an instruction
such as this. IMO, I have found that looking up hoaxes on the
http://us.mcafee.com/virusInfo/default.asp?cid=9043 site to be very helpful.

The text of the message is as follows:

I received this from a reliable family friend this morning. 10/28/01  BIG
TROUBLE !!!! DO NOT OPEN "WTC Survivor" It is a virus that will erase your
whole "C" drive. It will come to you in the form of an E-Mail from a familiar
person. I repeat a friend sent it to me, but called and warned me before I
opened it. He was not so lucky and now he can't even start his computer!
Forward this to everyone in your address book. I would rather receive this 25
times than not all.

If you receive an email called "WTC Survivor" do not open it. Delete it right
away! This virus removes all dynamic link libraries (.dll files) from your
computer.  This is a serious one

http://hoaxbusters.ciac.org/HBMalCode.shtml#wtcsurvivor

I also found information at
http://us.mcafee.com/virusInfo/default.asp?id=description&virus_k=99245 on this
hoax.
Sue Brooks, Brooks Computers for Business
suebrooks@xxxxxxxxxxx

"Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success.
If you love what you are doing, you will be successful."
Albert Schweitzer