[cisb102sp04] L4_Q6_NED

  • From: cathy more <idamcer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cisb102sp04@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2004 19:55:41 -0800 (PST)

1) Telnet's uses:  At this site, http://w.webopedia.com/ , I learned that the
tenet protocol is used for remote login to a host computer.  Essentially it is
a terminal emulation program for TCP/IP networks like the Internet.  Telnet
from a PC client to a Unix Server on a network acts as a Console on the Unix
Server.  For example on the Web, it is used for remote control of Web servers.
A user name and password are required unless there is an automatic login
established in the server.

2) I practiced using telnet at telnet://134.4.10.106, the NASA/IPAC
Extragalactic Database.

3) What happened?  After logging in as NED, a main menu page is displayed.  On
the main page, at the bottom, are control keys to manipulate the server, such
as ^(control) + A to access a help menu.  Or, if you know what you are doing,
you can type a letter from the menu and go to that item.  First I looked at the
help menu, then used ^B to close that window, and ^R to return to the main
menu.  Both of these control options were listed at the bottom of the page.  I
typed S to go to "News & Info", where I found a tutorial for the site.  Telnet
is a very command line type of interface.  I used the VT100 terminal emulation
and had no trouble with the commands once I got through the tutorial.  The
tutorial said that the VT100 interface is faster (it was fast), but it cannot
display the Skyplots and Spectral Energy Distributions.  NED will email them to
you as PostScript files for local printing.  The data I accessed was over my
head, but I was able to move around in the server.
Three things I learned at this site:
A. NED's footnote:  "The NASA/IPAC Extragalactic Database (NED) is operated by
the Jet Propulsion Laboratory, California Institute of Technology, under
contract with the National Aeronautics and Space Administration."
B. NED is an object oriented database of galaxies running on Sun workstations
using Solaris operating systems.
C. NED is now available on the world wide web at http://nedwww.caltech.edu

Cathy More
idamcer@xxxxxxxxx

Cathy More
idamcer@xxxxxxxxx

"The purpose of life is to live."
                   The Great Guru, BC

Yahoo! Search - Find what you?re looking for faster.