[cisb102sp04] Cisb 102 L3 Q5

  • From: "kerry keyworth" <kerrykeyworth_43@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cisb102sp04@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 17:26:11 +0000

Hello Fellow Classmates,
I found this article that you might be interested in computer virus, that
was targeted to a small Utah software company performed as its perpetrators
promised on Sunday, bringing down The SCO Group's Web site two days before a
similar virus was programmed to attack Microsoft Corp (search).

The "Mydoom" (search) or "Novarg" virus launched the attack early Sunday
with hundreds of thousands of requests, which crippled the site, SCO
spokesman Blake Stowell said.
The virus was spread last week by e-mail and caused infected computers to
launch the electronic attack against SCO, which has been targeted at least
twice this year with such attacks because of its threats to sue users of the
Linux operating system (search) in an intellectual property dispute.

On Tuesday, Lindon, Utah-based SCO announced a $250,000 reward for
information leading to the arrest and conviction of Mydoom's creator.
Stowell said the company believes someone within the Linux community is
behind the worm.

Sunday's attack had a higher profile because the well-publicized Mydoom
virus was involved, but that doesn't make the assault unique, a computer
expert said.
"To SCO, it means quite a bit," said Marty Lindner, an analyst at US-CERT, a
public-private partnership focused on Internet security. "But in the big
scheme of things, this happens all the time."

Internet traffic to SCO's Web site began building late Saturday night, and
overwhelmed it just after 12 a.m. EST.

"It's on the scale of hundreds of thousands of computers, all trying to
access www.sco.com all at the same time, several times a minute," Stowell
said. "Our capacity to be able to handle that amount of bandwidth, or the
number of requests coming in, was completely saturated."

The attack is programmed to continue on SCO's Web site until Feb. 12,
according to messages left inside the virus' code.

But Stowell said the company would announce a contingency plan Monday for
customers to access the site. He declined to discuss those plans, citing
hackers.
It will likely involve slightly altering the wording SCO's Web address, said
David Perry, a spokesman for antivirus firm Trend Micro.
SCO does not expect the Web site interruption to affect its business.

"The way we really look at this, people don't come to our Web site to
conduct commerce," Stowell said. "They come to obtain information and maybe
receive a product update or software patch."
The strain that shut down SCO's Web site was the Mydoom.A virus. Another
strain, called Mydoom.B, is set to launch an attack Tuesday on Microsoft.

The companies have been sharing information about the virus and how each is
addressing it. Microsoft also has offered a $250,000 reward to help catch
those behind the virus.
Lindner said it's difficult to predict the same type of shutdown for
Microsoft.
"Depending on the number of machines launching the attack, the outcomes
could be the same or completely different," he said. "There are too many
unknowns."

I found this article interesting because it show's how other people have no
respect for anyone. These people think it's funny, but it causing nothing
for problems. Why can't some of these grow up and be an adult.
If you would like more information about the report go to

Have a great weekend and a Happy Valentine's Day
Kerry Keyworth

"Those who apply themselves too closely to little
things often become incapable of great things."

Kerry Keyworth
kerrykeyworth_43@xxxxxxxxxxx

Create your own personal Web page with the info you use most, at My MSN.