[cisb102sp04] Re: CISB102 Lesson 3 Question 6 Firewalls

  • From: "Sue Brooks" <suebrooks@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <cisb102sp04@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 10:28:23 -0500

I followed your link to http://www.firewallguide.com and found an
interesting site
that runs security audits. I use a router here at home. I ran a basic audit
at
http://www.securityspace.com/sspace/index.html. I was curious how it would
turn out. It was free and not as complete as the audits that they run that
cost
money. Here is the report that I received:

      Number of open ports found by port scan:0

      While having 0 ports open is very good, you should be aware that this
does not guarantee you are secure.
      You need to consider the following items:
        a.. The port scan did not include UDP ports
        b.. Vulnerabilities such as trojans that "phone home" cannot be
detected by a port scan
        c.. You may not be protected from email viruses
      I run an anti-virus program and use broadband so I don't have to worry
about the bottom 2.
      I run a firewall program that screens one of my computers. It does
report UDP attempts.
      I am not certain that I understand was UDP ports are. I have more
research to do.

      Sue Brooks
      suebrooks@xxxxxxxxxxx