[cisb102sp04] Re: CISB102 L4Q6 - Telnet

  • From: "Deborah Koester" <koesterd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <cisb102sp04@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2004 16:01:49 -0500

I tried IPAC Extragalactic Database as well, and found it easier to
maneuver around it.  I tried it, both by command mode and through the
internet.

Hope you are enjoying class.

Deb

>>> jprzystas@xxxxxxxxxxx 03/04/04 21:50 PM >>>
Telnet is a utility that allows for remote control of a wide variety of
computer systems.  It is very similar to FTP, but does not have a
graphical user interface.  In addition, FTP is limited to file
transfers, but Telnet allows for commands.  The commands are UNIX based.
 Some of the functions of Telnet include file and directory functions,
checking system status, networking, text editors, and printing
functions.
I first tried a Telnet link to a NASA site in Huntsville that I found
through an informational website.  It wouldn't connect to the host.  I
then tried the Library of Congress site via the IP address listed in the
Course Document.  While I was able to connect, moving around the menus
was difficult.  I could type a number for an option, but never saw the
number that I typed in the display.  I also tried the IPAC Extragalactic
Database address listed in the Course Document.  It was easier to
navigate.

I learned that each of the sites I visited had fairly different
navigation methods leading me to believe there is not a lot of
consistency in how these sites are developed.

More information about Telnet can be found in the following websites:

http://www.webdzine.com/tutorials/telnet.html

http://www.infoboard.com/infoboard/telnethelp.htm

"Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want."

Janet Przystas
jprzystas@xxxxxxxxxxx