[cisb102sp04] CISB102 -L4 - Q6 - Telnet? Limon

  • From: "Jeanie Limon" <limonj@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <cisb102sp04@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 06 Mar 2004 19:59:59 -0500

I've used Telnet in past only to connect to remote terminals while
working at MSU and didn't know a whole lot of what it did exactly.
Telnet is a protocol for remote computing on the Internet. It allows a
computer to act as a remote terminal on another machine, anywhere on the
Internet. This means that when you telnet to a particular host and port,
the remote computer (which must have a telnet server) accepts input
directly from your computer (which must have a telnet client) and output
for your session is directed to your screen. There are many library and
information resources that are accessible through telnet.

What I learned about Telnet's uses?
1)Telnet allows you to log into other remote computers via IP addresses.
2)Used with Unix/Linus commands.

Where did I practice telnet?
Well, I use to use telnet to access my msu pilot account.  So I typed in
telnet://pilot.msu.edu and was able to still get into The Pilot Email
System.  It's been so long but was able to get in. Found out I had 1793
messages.  So I cleaned out my mailbox from way back when. Nothing but
junk mail. They are in process of changing their email system and this
will be gone for good.