[cisb102sp04] Re: CISB 102 Lesson 3 question 6

  • From: "Richelle McFate" <richellemcfate@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cisb102sp04@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 23:11:27 -0500

I find it interesting that the definitions of "child" and "minor" have such
a broad range and that quite often the age that is "picked" seems far too
young.  My step-son is 21 years old and he still seems young!  Thank you for
sharing this bit of information!

"Forgive me my nonsense as I also forgive the nonsense of those who think
they talk sense."
--Robert Frost

>From: "Houghton, Aimee" <houghta@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>To: "CISB 102 listserv (E-mail)" <cisb102sp04@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: [cisb102sp04] CISB 102 Lesson 3 question 6
>Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 13:36:50 -0500
>
>The subject of Internet privacy is very interesting to me.  With so many
>people using the Internet for so many things, there is a lot of personal
>information that flows between computers.  While there are steps that one
>can take to decrease the chances that this information will either fall
>into the wrong hands or be used in ways that we didn't intend, I am not
>convinced that any of us is completely safe in that regard.  This idea is
>especially alarming when you add children into the mix.  Being the mother
>of two teenaged daughters - who are active Internet users - I am concerned
>about just what information they share with others.  We often have
>conversations about what is appropriate and what isn't but, again, there
>are no guarantees.  Becoming educated about what the risks are and what
>steps we can take to diminish those risks is vital.  The following link
>details some ways to help protect your privacy:
>
>  <http://kids.getnetwise.org/safetyguide/danger/privacy>
>http://kids.getnetwise.org/safetyguide/danger/privacy
>
>There are also other links from that page that have useful information
>about this topic.  The main webpage for this site (
><http://www.getnetwise.org/> http://www.getnetwise.org/ ) is also useful as
>it covers more topics than just those related to children.. Actually, the
>Children's Online Privacy Protection Act of 1998 defines a "child" as: "The
>term "child" means an individual under the age of 13".  Technically,
>neither of my "children" would fit that category.  Also, privacy issues
>pertain to more than just physical security.  Data security is also very
>critical.  This website has links that address many of these concerns.
>

>Aimee M. Houghton
>houghta@xxxxxxx
>
>" The best way to cheer yourself is to try to cheer someone else up."
>Mark Twain

Check out the great features of the new MSN 9 Dial-up, with the MSN Dial-up
Accelerator. http://click.atdmt.com/AVE/go/onm00200361ave/direct/01/