[cisb102sp04] CENSORSHIP - QUESTION 6

  • From: "Debbie Jackson" <walkerlynn37@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cisb102sp04@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2004 23:33:46 -0500

I chose Censorship as the societal issue to discuss because I believe it is an
issue that will soon be hotly debated. The government has already tried to
censor information in cyberspace and have been successfully challenged in some
cases.  I'm personally against any type of censorship. I understand the concern
that some information may not be suitable for children. However, parents are
responsible for making the same efforts to protect children from unsuitable
information in cyberspace as they do to protect them from unsuitable
information available to them outside of cyberspace. Afterall, the Internet is
just another communication medium where good taste and moral may not be
abundant but information is.  Parents are largely responsible for the
information received by their children. Adults uncomfortable with what they see
on the Interent must learn to let go of what they don't need and add to that
what is useful.   I enjoyed an article found at
http://www.accessorl.net/~cyberwar/nocensor.htm on this subject.

D. Lynn Walker
walkerlynn37@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
"To ask a hard question is simple," W. H. Auden