[cisb102sp04] Aimee Houghton - telnet

  • From: "Houghton, Aimee" <houghta@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "CISB 102 listserv (E-mail)" <cisb102sp04@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 10:41:28 -0500

*        I found a couple of different sites that talked briefly about telnet.
Many of them  seemed pretty sparse in terms of information.  They basically
said that telnet is a way to connect to a remote computer.  Here is a link to
one of these sites:

 <http://www.chem.ox.ac.uk/it/telnet.html>
http://www.chem.ox.ac.uk/it/telnet.html

Not very verbose is it?

This site has much more useful information:

 <http://www.enana.com/enana/tutorials/telnet.html>
http://www.enana.com/enana/tutorials/telnet.html

One of the things I learned is that the online game both of my daughters play
(Wheel of Time MUD) is probably telnet.  I have often seen the screen while
they are playing and it looks like that's what it is.  I read that telnet is
often used for this purpose (MUD).  I'll have to do some checking to find out
for sure.  I also learned that the connection I use to logon to work from home
is a type of telnet.  It is called TN3270 and uses telnet to simulate full
screen 3270 connection.

*        I first tried the Library of Congress telnet site but I could not get
connected.  So, I searched for some other sites and found one that allows
access to the University of Michigan Library catalog (MIRLYN).  This is the
address I used:

 <telnet://mirlyn.telnet.lib.umich.edu/> telnet://mirlyn.telnet.lib.umich.edu/

Being a good Spartan, I found a link there to the MSU library catalog.  It was
interesting to poke around and see what I could find.  I decided to search to
see if they have a copy of a book my uncle wrote - and they did (see below)!  I
found this site easy to navigate.

I know that my Uncle had taught at UM years ago, so I tried a similar search in
the UM catalog and found more entries there.

Search Request: A=UMAR                                Michigan State Universit
BIBLIOGRAPHIC RECORD -- 7 of 37 Entries Found                       Brief View
Author:         Umar, Amjad.

Title:          Distributed computing :  a practical synthesis of networks,
                  client-server systems, distributed applications, and open
                  systems /

Published:      Englewood Cliffs, N.J. :  PTR Prentice Hall,  1993.

Subject(s):     Electronic data processing--Distributed processing.
                Computer networks.

Aimee M. Houghton
houghta@xxxxxxx

" The best way to cheer yourself is to try to cheer someone else up."
Mark Twain