[cisb102sp02] Telnet is Fun!!!

  • From: Karl Herrick <karl_herrick@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cisb102sp02@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 16:37:04 -0700 (PDT)

From http://www.superscripts.com/tutorial/telnet.html I learned that telnet was
pretty big in about 1994... but I already knew that because I was telnetting in
1994.  One thing that I didn't know that I learned from this site was that
telnet is the most powerful connection that you can get.  I remember way back
when my friend had linux and a cable modem and he gave me a telnet connection
to his computer.  That was cool.  Actually this afternoon, I set up a telnet
server on my parents Windows ME computer.  The address is currently
telnet://64.242.100.249 while I am dialed in, but will change later.  When I
tried that out, I found out how necessary it is to set up parameters for the
users that are going to actually telnet into your system.  When I telnetted
into my parents computer from my linux box next door, I could only access one
directory, but I fixed that and it is cooler now.  My mother also telnets to
work.  It is a very choppy connection with a dial up modem.  It hangs up
premature frequently, and reduces the amount of work she can get done.

Yeah, the biggest thing that happened was that I couldn't do much on my parents
computer when I telnetted there... but I actually thought it was neat, because
I could control the main function with the free server I downloaded... I
actually resetted my parents computer from next door.  :-)

-Karl