[cisb102_vc] Lesson Four Question 4/Tu Qin/10/12/01

  • From: "Tu, Qin" <tuqin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cisb102_vc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 20:05:50 -0400

I tried all the URLs that had been listed in our course lecture.
http://oregonstate.edu/aw/tutorials/telnet/pctelnet.html is straight and
brief;
http://www.lvsonline.com/telnet/telnet2000.html provides with graphics
and
details.http://hosting.webhostwest.com/telnet_tutorial.htm has more
technical terms. Before this lecture, I used to practice Telnet through
"MSU AFS and Pilot Services" at http://www.msu.edu/pilot/. I have
learned that Telnet doesn't allow readers to view attachments and
graphics. I tried to practice Telnet through
http://www.cosy.sbg.ac.at/doc/eegtti/eeg_96.html#SEC97. It gave me a
list of Telnet Sites. I clicked "History", "Dictionary", and "Time",
they all  led me to www web sites. I tried Telnet's Remote System, it
only allowed me to use MSU pilot. When I tried to look for some
information about "Dictionary", I got the following: "You are not
permitted to use this service from the machine you are using."
telnet://140.147.254.3  gives me a list of information such as copyright
and organization about Library of Congress. Some files are frozen, which
also lead me to a www web site: http://lcweb.loc.gov/nls/. My impression
is that Telnet is not very convenient, in term of  continuance of
reading a piece of information.
Tu Qin
10/12/01