[cisb102_campus] Scott Livesey CISB 102 Lesson 4 Question 4

  • From: Scott Livesey <liveseys@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cisb102_campus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx,
  • Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 00:13:53 +0000

Lesson 4, Question 4

a) Telnet is a protocol that allows you to log into a host computer or syst=
em and change whatever you want, or access the information contained insi=
de. Some systems require you to have a password, but not all. =20
 http://www.orst.edu/aw/tutorials/telnet/  =20
b) I logged on to the Library of Congress by entering the address=E2=80=A6 =
140.147.254.3 =20
c)=E2=80=A6 once connected, I went into the Copyright Information, then to =
the Works Registered for Copyright since 1978. From there I entered the s=
earch word DRACULA to see what the site had on the subject. It came up wi=
th a handful of listings on Dracula. From there I browsed the listing to =
see what information was available. I looked into the subject =E2=80=9Cth=
eme music for Dracula=E2=80=9D. I entered the command DISPLAY ITEM to vie=
w all information. The information it gave was the copyright information =
for the =E2=80=9Ctheme from Dracula=E2=80=9D by John Williams, such as da=
te published, copyright owner, how the work was used, etc.=20
     Something i Learned from Telnet was that i can see how much potential =
potential information there is by using Telnet, but that it's a system th=
at isn't very well known to the general public. also it's not all that us=
er friendly. it reminds me of using computers back in the 80's. it's all =
password and text driven.