[ciphershed] Re: Website & publicity

  • From: "Alain Forget" <aforget@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <ciphershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2014 14:19:41 -0400

Unfortunately, the website doesn't look, read, or feel like a "normal" website.
It does have a very "developer" feel to it. The front page talks about the
project being managed by experienced and passionate programmers, KISS
philosophy, non-anonymous dev, public code edits...yeah yeah, that all sounds
good, but nowhere does the page say *what CipherShed is*! ("Cross-platform
on-the-fly encryption software." is horribly technical and doesn't tell users
anything meaningful) Any end-user coming to this page will think, "Uhh, I must
be the wrong place." It's a fine site for us technical people working on the
project (I'm happy we even have a logo!), but for any (non-technical) users
(who just want to use the software and not get involved), it could be better.

Perhaps it's as simple as putting our current webpage one level down
(accessible through a "Developers" or "Contribute" link) from a more
user-welcoming front-end that Niklas is suggesting.

Regarding the About page, I'm afraid it won't likely have the effect you hope
it will. It's just a bunch of words that anyone could have typed (or randomly
generated!); it provides no evidence that we are who we claim, and that we've
done the things we claim (and thus have that expertise). So there should be
links to those projects' webpages that people can go see and confirm that it
really exists and see that we did indeed participate in those projects. There
should be links to our own webpages that talk about our past and current work.
Both Bill and Stephen have such pages; I was rather surprised that you didn't
put a link from the About page to your sites. Basically, anything at all
(links!) that shows that we are real people with real expertise, real skills,
real history, and real reputability (and thus accountability).

Alain