[ciphershed] Re: Website & publicity

  • From: "Alain Forget" <aforget@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <ciphershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2014 12:12:23 -0400

I fully support this great idea, but it seems to be leaning closer to the
contents of a "How To" page, which I do think will be very beneficial (to show
people how it works before they commit to downloading and using it). But I feel
pretty strongly that the About page should just be a summary of the product,
project, and people. That's what most About pages I've seen tend to stick to,
and I'm not sure we should deviate much from that convention.

>I think if we merge more information on that page (the Authors and
>About Project), it might get a bit crowded (hence the separate pages
>for now). If we establish a PMC/Security Team, we would want to name
>those people specifically too (on the Authors page?), which would take
>up even more room.

Yes it would, but that's the kind of thing this page should be About, pun
intended. :-P There may also be a better way to organise that information so it
takes up less (vertical) space.

>As for the Wiki, I was hoping to get the "Interact" tab removed, as
>it's redundant to duplicate the same information twice.

Agreed, but *somewhere*, probably in the dev space, there absolutely needs to
be an easy-to-find list/table (hopefully sortable by both proper name and
alias) of everyone's (or at least the main contributors) names and alias, so
that it's easy to look up. An example of why this is necessary is that, when
doing the voting, I wanted to remind myself who compul was, but alas, I could
not find a mapping. I *think* compul is Niklas, but there really needs to be a
very easy/quick way to look this up. If some of us can't keep this straight,
then this will definitely be a problem going forward, especially if we're about
to get a small army of contributors (a subset of which will hopefully get as
on-board as we have, and we'll need to have an easy way to keep all these names
straight).

Alain