[ciphershed] Re: Website & publicity

  • From: "Alain Forget" <aforget@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <ciphershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2014 17:47:33 -0400

I see the website has been updated; nice!

Maybe you're still working on it, Niklas, but here are some additional comments
(on things I consider important) as I'm poking around:

* Whole site:
** Could our site have a favicon of the CipherShed logo? It makes finding
CipherShed tabs/windows easier, and looks a bit more professional.
** Could we please left-align the Home, News, Download, How-To, Wiki, Forum,
About, links, instead of the current right-alignment?
** The Forum link should lead directly to the forum, not to the landing page of
the wiki.
* Home:
** Maybe we shouldn’t say that " CipherShed is available for Windows, Mac and
Linux." when it actually isn't so? Instead, a sentence about, "We are currently
working towards releasing CipherShed for Windows, Mac, and Linux very soon.
When released, they will be available on our Download [LINK] page."
** "For more information about the project you can visit our wiki." is missing
a comma between "project" and "you". :-)
* How-To:
** I like your sentence here. However, could we change the second sentence to,
"For a How-To on TrueCrypt, please see the TrueCrypt User Guide", and the last
three words should like to our locally hosted copy (which I don't think yet
exists) of the TrueCrypt User Guide, which you can download here:
https://www.grc.com/misc/truecrypt/TrueCrypt%20User%20Guide.pdf
* News:
** Good that there's already news! I think it's important to keep this updated
(not daily, of course, but at least once a month), so the public knows we're
active.
* News, and anywhere other than About:
** I'm wondering if we should avoid using monikers/pseudonyms, at least on this
public-facing site. Normal people aren't going to understand, and it's going to
kind of look like we're trying to be anonymous-ish (yes, even though the
mapping of pseudonyms to real names is on the About page. We can't assume
everyone is going to bother looking that far).
* About:
** I recommend listing people in alphabetical order, simply because that's
normal/typical. Anything odd/weird (even apparently insignificant things) could
turn-off users or raise their suspicions/skepticism.

Thanks,
Alain