[ciphershed] Re: TrueCrypt development history

  • From: Dimitri Schoolwerth <dimitri@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ciphershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2014 06:13:47 +0400

On 6/18/14, 2:45, Alain Forget wrote:
>> And here's an example difference between blame with TC history:
>>
>> https://github.com/discnl/truecrypt-source-archive/blame/master/Common/Crypto.c
>>

>> and without:
>>
>> https://github.com/CipherShed/CipherShed/blame/master/Common/Crypto.c
>

> Hm, excellent example of how keeping in the history appears more
> messy.

I'm not sure I follow. This is how blame output ends up eventually
with enough different commits in a file (though I don't particularly
like how github represents it, I even prefer git gui blame in this
case with its colouring that groups the same commits).

> I'm familiar with subversion, where we can compare specific
> revisions/commits to each other.

That's a diff, which git has too of course (just as svn has blame).
For example, for all the differences between TC 7.1 and 7.1a:

https://github.com/discnl/truecrypt-source-archive/compare/tc-7.1...tc-7.1a

> Is it possible to do something
> similar in blame, whereby we start from only a particular version and
> see all the changes up to the most recent (or within some range), so
> blame since 7.1a (or whatever version) up to the current version?

Yes, blame can do ranges of revisions too. But it seems you are
thinking of diff where mostly you want to compare to two specific
revisions already (often current and previous) or, when you are in a
branch, compare to the start of a branch to for example see all
re-branding changes.

Regards,
Dimitri