[ciphershed] Re: Still getting security warning on https://ciphershed.org

  • From: Niklas Lemcke - 林樂寬 <compul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ciphershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2014 13:05:56 +0800

On Mon, 30 Jun 2014 23:26:16 -0400
Kyle Marek <psppsn96@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 06/30/2014 11:16 PM, Stephen R Guglielmo wrote:
> > On Mon, Jun 30, 2014 at 5:06 PM, Bill Cox <waywardgeek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> > wrote:
> >> I get a security warning about an untrusted certificate when I point
> >> FireFox to https://ciphershed.org.  I don't know if this is supposed
> >> to still happen or not...
> > I don't get an error either right now, using Firefox Beta 31.0. I do,
> > however, get this on certain computers at work that are using a very
> > outdated version of internet explorer.
> >
> The SHA1 fingerprint of the certificate i am recieving is
> 62:A2:09:4E:DD:A5:6C:E4:09:24:58:59:31:38:15:38:37:0A:4C:A4.
>
> I also noticed, while checking the fingerprint, the encryption only has
> 128-bit keys.

Actually, my connection is encrypted with AES-256. Maybe 128bit is a
setting your browser likes. Both AES256 and AES128 (and even 3DES) are
allowed by the server (gotta think about disabling 3DES maybe).

Either way though, AES128 should be perfectly fine, considering that it
equals an RSA key length of 3072bit. While the server is sporting a
4096bit RSA key, there is no remotely equivalent AES bitlength (192bit ~
7680bit RSA, which is not available in gpg) to that. So even if we would
all encrypt with AES256, we would only get a tad more security because
of the limitations of RSA key lengths.

Also I have the same fingerprint as you do.

--
Niklas - 林樂寬