[ciphershed] OT Health Insurance and politics Re: Re: [geekcrypt] Re: WAS Re: Introducing frehberg, or Frank

  • From: Karen Palen <karenpalensl@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ciphershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 07 Jun 2014 22:45:40 -0700

Actually I have experienced the UK NHS, Canadian OHIP, Australian
Medicare, and now US Medicare.

NONE of them are anywhere near flawless. However IMHO ALL of them beat
the best US private insurance (Motorola Executive coverage)! Both in
cost and level of service provided.

I know the UK's favorite pastime is criticizing the NHS, usually with
justification.

The difference is that the flaws get fixed in a reasonable time if only
because there is ONE plan and it is very hard to pretend it is someone
else's problem (although the politicians DO try), unlike the hodge podge
of US "private" schemes and government shutdowns to feed someone's ego.

Even the government run schemes are highly fragmented as the present
Veterans Administration scandal shows. One of their problems is that the
"veterans" insurance is completely separate from the DOD Tri-Care for
active duty military! Their computers don't even talk to one another,
which is a large part of the problem.

For some reason the US Congress (only) plan works flawlessly!

I got a briefing this afternoon from our US Representative Kyrsten
Sinema, and it is an unholy mess, far worse than has been announced so
far There should be some major revaluations in the next couple of weeks
and hopefully some actual firings of high level officials.

Revelations like like some 100,000 veterans nationwide waiting more than
6 months for an appointment, some have waited more than 5 years for
urgent things things like PTSD treatment and combat related brain damage!

While I am wandering far from the Ciphershed topics, let me put out a
call for references to high quality articles and academic papers
(Kyrsten has a PhD) on the Net Neutrality issue. Kyrsten asked me to put
together an information packet for her that she could circulate among
other members of the US Congress!

I am particularly interested in the "conflict of interest" issue
(largely ignored by the media); that is ALL of the giant US ISPs are
really in the business of providing entertainment and/or landline voice
phone service and view High Speed Internet service as competition to
their "real" business!

Can we document this?

This conflict of interest resonates with the politicians and is far more
impressive to them than a technical explanation of the consequences of
favoring one source over another!

I can't guarantee results, but I CAN promise that good quality stuff
will be read by those who can make a difference.

Mike

On 06/07/2014 06:44 PM, PID0 wrote:
> You would if you had sampled the NHS in the UK, ah the joys of
> theft...err I mean socialized medicine.

- --
"Ayn Rand - Philosopher in Chief to the intellectually bankrupt"
- - Sherlock Holmes
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported
License.