[ciphershed] Re: Lawyer Consultation

  • From: "Jason Pyeron" <jpyeron@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ciphershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2014 17:26:47 -0400

You should also talk to the attorney about the necessity of carrying insurance
in this case as well. Most jurisdictions would provide for liability shielding
on debts, but "mismanagement" usually breaks the shield. Last thinkg people need
is for the directors or members of the "organization" being held personally
liable for bugs, errors, or other issues.

>       I'm just trying to make sure no one gets in any type of
> trouble here.
>
>       There's a lawyer right down the street from me that has
> experience
>       with business matters and non-profit organizations. If
> the fees are
>       cheap enough, I'll ask him what he thinks about a
> project like ours.

I think if he wont take this on pro-bono, there are thousands who will. Think
community law centers, etc. I have had to get pro-bono attorneys several time
for community based projects, it is not that hard for "task" work, general
counsel is another story.

> I think contact with a lawyer would be great; We can also get
> some advice for our warrant canary system and such.

This is best (most effective?) addressed by getting your member of congress to
make and change laws.

> ________________________________
>

>     At the time of sending this message, I have not been
> contacted by any government official or worker regarding my
> participation in CipherShed or any related project. I have
> not been asked to supply any information to them that may be
> used to impersonate me nor have I been asked to aid the
> government or it's officials or workers in modifying part of
> CipherShed or any related project. I am not aware of any of
> my property or anything regarding me being bugged, searched,
> or compromised in any way. Anything that accepts PGP
> encryption or signing should have been cryptographically
> secured with my PGP key.

- Jason Pyeron                      PD Inc. http://www.pdinc.us -
- Principal Consultant              10 West 24th Street #100    -
- +1 (443) 269-1555 x333            Baltimore, Maryland 21218   -
This message is copyright PD Inc, subject to license 20080407P00.