[cinemaexp] Re: glad to have participated

  • From: Laurie Graves <laurie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cinemaexp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2018 08:15:45 -0500

Many thanks, Abbott, for your all your suggestions and help. As far as I'm concerned, yes to /Hamlet/ going to the top of the list for next  year. And also, thanks to everyone else for the hard work.

Happy Thanksgiving to all, and safe travels to those who are going far.

Laurie

On 11/19/2018 7:23 AM, Nancy Meader wrote:

Hello all,
    Tomorrow Nancy and I head off to Boston for TG with family. I expect that by the time we're back the series choices will be finalized. I was pleased to join in this fall and hope to do so again. It is an enjoyable experience of debate and sharing.
    You probably realize that my own druthers might be for a series of "Great Classics of Film", say- or "Films That Changed the World", and understandably that is not what this series sets out to do. Maybe we could be called "Films that are pretty darn good which you will not have seen"? In that context, my "job" has generally been to perform the role of Joe Classics, continually tossing in titles that, while provoking useful discussion, are generally set aside. This I understand. I don't go away mad. Disappointed at times? Yes.
    One can't really argue against Joel's careful assessment of each film's liklihood to bring out an audience. That is what we look for and need to do. And we certainly know how weather can foul up the best laid plans. Nevertheless, I hope that one out of the six dates might continue to be saved for a chancey choice - either a "classic" or a truly unusual and perhaps controversial or "difficult" film.
    When I was in maybe 7th or 8th grade we were offered free tickets to see Olivier's HAMLET. Most of the kids begged off, but I took a ticket and went. The film was unlike anything I'd experienced, and I went back for another ticket in order to see it twice. (Good choice for us as a Classic??) That was a game changer for me.
    Thanks to all for your time and extreme devotion! I look forward to the line up!   VV Abbott

--
Laurie Graves
hinterlandspress.com