[cinemaexp] Part Two: Clif and Laurie's Most Excellent List

  • From: Laurie Graves <laurie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cinemaexp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2019 16:31:07 -0400

Hi, all--

Here is our take on the rest film on the IMDB list.

Clif & Laurie

/*Part Two: Clif and Laurie’s Most Excellent List*/

*Interested*

/The Cave/: Looks like it’s tough to watch—it is about war, after all—but all the reviews so far are extremely positive. It has a release date in October, which gives it a good chance of not being streamed before we can show it.

/Winter Flies/: Adolescent hi-jinks in the cold. Why not? Might make a nice break from all the bummer films we show.

/Jirga/: Described as modern-day morality tale. Great reviews. An irresistible combination at least as described. Might be one to screen ahead of time.

/*The Seer and the Unseen/: A “magical-realism” doc about an “elf whisperer”? What’s not to like? Plus it gets great reviews. One to consider for the opening film?

/Goldie/: Gets great, if limited, reviews. Who doesn’t like the story of a scrappy teenager trying to get ahead?

*Maybe*

/The Pollinators/: Not much information about this. There is a tie-in with Burt’s Bees. The one review we could find is measured rather than enthusiastic. But given it’s a decent film, I think the CE audience would like it.

/The Anthropocene/: /The Human Epoch/: Good reviews, mostly for the images. Described as a “plate of vegetables.” But an important topic. One to screen, perhaps?

/Gregory’s Girl/: Gets great reviews but is it really old enough to be a classic?

*Disinterested*

/Zombi Child/: Mostly favorable reviews, but some of the comments in the favorable reviews raised warnings. Especially the comments about it not coalescing. In a bigger festival, it might be worth taking a chance on, but in a festival with six films, not so much.

/The Chambermaid/: Available for $3.99 on Prime. Don’t tempt people to stay home on a cold winter morning.

/Supa Mondo/: Only thing worse than watching an adult struggle with a terminal illness is watching a child struggle with a terminal illness.

/The Cakemaker/: Available for $2.99 on Prime. Even cake might not be enough to draw people in.

/Yomeddine/: Available for $3.99 on Prime.

/Fig Tree:/ No real objection except that Barbara Merson suggested /Those Who Remain/ as a tie-in with MJFF.

/The Wild Goose Lake/: Could be a kicky gangster film, but the good reviews are too qualified.

/A Girl Missing/: Too many bad reviews.

/Nina Wu/: Too many bad reviews. Also, who really wants to watch an “explicit exposé” at 10:00 a.m.? Not these two cookies.

/Scared of Revolution/: No reviews plus it doesn’t seem as though the CE audience would be that keen to see a film about someone who was a major influence on hip-hop.

--
Laurie Graves
hinterlandspress.com