[cinemaexp] Re: MEETING @ 9:30 w/screening of "LIFE AND NOTHING MORE"

  • From: Laurie Graves <laurie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cinemaexp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2018 11:01:50 -0500

Blue is definitely my favorite color! Clif has an eye appointment, but I will be at the meeting. Around 9:30?

See you tomorrow!

Laurie

On 11/7/2018 9:19 AM, Joel Johnson wrote:

Just wanted to send out a quick reminder about tomorrow’s meeting. Alice and I will be away for much of today. We will miss you if you do decide to go away, Abbott and Nancy, but do wish you a great time at Acadia. There definitely are a dwindling number of days for that.

We do have quite a bit to settle on. I did watch “RAMEN SHOP” yesterday. There’s a pretty heavy use of sentimentality, but it does have a good message about forgiveness, tolerance, and the bonding power of cooking and sharing food together. I also watched “ANTONIO LOPEZ: SEX FASHION & DISCO” and enjoyed it much more than I expected. I had not heard about Antonio Lopez before having the opportunity to see this documentary from FilmMovement. Interestingly, there were lots of people in the film (Bill Cunningham, Patti D’Arbanville, Jessica Lange, Andy Warhol, Karl Lagerfeld, etc.) that I had heard about and Antonio had seemed to be a significant influence on their lives. He was definitely an individual of the free love pre-AIDS 1960’s and 1970’s. I found the film quite fascinating. It starts out with a lot of amazing illustrations. There’s a quite a bit of nudity—mostly breasts that are fairly ubiquitous. Definitely much different than anything we have ever shown and a lot more risqué than one might expect to be seeing at 10:00 in the morning, but something new to me and quite moving. I did start watching “TVTV: VIDEO REVOLUTIONARIES,” but only got 15 or so minutes in before the power went out on Saturday. Based on this limited viewing, it did seem as though the film was managing to take a story that should have been rather fascinating and making it seem pretty pedestrian. This would seem to concur with the observations that Alice, Clif, and Laurie had made.

Obviously, there are some other films—some for which we have had screeners—on our list that we need to discuss.

We have several options for films for which we could work with MJFF. My wife is lobbying for “BOHEMIAN NOIR,” but there a number of choices.

Looking forward to seeing all of you tomorrow.

It wasn’t a great night last night, but it was a good one if your favorite color was blue.

Joel

--
Laurie Graves
hinterlandspress.com