[cinemaexp] Clif & Laurie's list

  • From: Laurie Graves <laurie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cinemaexp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2019 16:40:19 -0400

Clif & Laurie’s Interested and Disinterested List

We went through one through fifteen on the IMDB list—many thanks, Joel, for providing this list—and we sorted the movies into two categories: Those we were interested in and those we were disinterested in.

First our *interested list* as this is the shorter one.

/*At War:* /We are both keen on this subject of a company closing the effect on the workers. An added interest is seeing how this plays out in another country.

/*Socrates: */Great reviews, gripping story of a scrappy orphan trying to make it on his own. What’s not to like?

/*Advocate*: /A doc that tackles a compellingsubject: An Israeli lawyer defending Palestinians who have been accused of being terrorists. According to reviews, the rotoscope is used to obscure faces of clients.

/*Complicity*: /Good reviews by a few critics. A food film that also deals with the terror of being undocumented. This is probably one that should be screened first as there isn’t much written about it.

/*The Load:*///Really, really interested in this film that deals with the moral consequences of just doing your job. Great reviews by many critics.

Our *Disinterested* List

/*The Other Story*: /Just not interested in this subject. Sorry.

/*What You Gonna Do When the World’s on Fire:* /Sounds like it could be Hale County 2.0.

/*Song without a Name:* /Not enough critical commentary provided to make a good decision.

/*The Ground Beneath My Feet:* /As a former social worker, Clif is very leery about using mental illness as a plot device.

/*Enigma:* /Again, not enough critical commentary on this movie.

/*Devil’s Playground: */Not exactly a classic but too old to be contemporary.

/*Twin Flower: */Only two reviews. One good, one bad, and the good one sounds like a splat.

/*A White, White Day:* /Sounds like a tired story and better suited for television, say a Netflix series.

/*Ulysses & Mona: */Laurie just can’t take movies where one of the characters has cancer. Too much of it in her own family.

/*Varda by Agnes*//: /We actually are interested in this one, but we don’t think this movie will draw enough of an audience to make it worth showing. /Faces/Places/ had a very small turnout.

We are eager to learn about everyone’s praises and pans.

--
Laurie Graves
hinterlandspress.com