[cinemaexp] Re: CINEMA EXPLORATIONS Facebook Post

  • From: Laurie <laurie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cinemaexp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2016 13:11:02 -0500

Will do!

On 12/02/2016 12:38 PM, Joel Johnson wrote:

I posted descriptions of the films and the schedule (see below) yesterday along with a slide-show video of posters for the six films with a catchy little ditty Facebook provided entitled “Wonder.” The blurbs here are a bit shorter than what we have typically had in our promotional material in the past. I am planning to write up somewhat longer form blurbs consistent with what we have done in the past. If you are on Facebook, please seek out this particular post on the CINEMA EXPLORATIONS FB page. Sometimes it seems a bit haphazard as to what comes up in each individual’s feed. If you could share the post that would help start the process of getting word out about our films and our new schedule. If you are not on Facebook, please be willing to forward this to any friends that you feel might be interested in our series. I look forward to seeing folks next week.

WINTER IS COMING!…..Can CINEMA EXPLORATIONS Winter Film Series be far behind? OK, we shamelessly stole "Winter is Coming" from "Game of Thrones," but it really does fit. Winter is coming and this is the first public announcement of the films and the schedule for the 2017 CINEMA EXPLORATIONS Winter Film Series. We are very excited to be able to bring these films to our audience because they offer intriguing, thought-provoking, and hopeful stories from around the globe. Our schedule, too, is different than what we have typically done as it will be somewhat compressed. It is, perhaps, more important than ever for you to:

SAVE THE DATES AND SHARE THEM, TOO!

One of the best ways for us to get people to come to Railroad Square Cinema in Waterville, Maine to see the films that we have selected is through word-of-mouth and the virtual word-of-mouth of social media. If you regularly receive our Facebook posts, if you have attended one or more of our films in the past, if you love movies in general, if you love your friends who love movies, PLEASE SHARE this post. Keep checking here as more information will be available soon and we look forward to seeing you in January into March, 2017.

“THE ANTHROPOLOGIST” Saturday/Sunday 1/14-15/17

“THE ANTHROPOLOGIST” (or, more intriguingly, “THE ANTHROPOLOGIST’S DAUGHTER”) considers the fate of the planet from the eyes of an American teenager. Over five years, she travels alongside her mother studying how communities in Russia, in the Central Pacific island republic of Kiribati, and in Peru are coping with climate change.

“SPEED SISTERS” Saturday/Sunday 1/28-29/17

“THE SPEED SISTERS” is not what you would expect. The film is about the first all-women race car driving team in the Middle East. They're bold. They're fearless. And they're tearing up tracks all over Palestine.

“AS I OPEN MY EYES” Saturday/Sunday 2/4-5/17

“AS I OPEN MY EYES” is set in Tunisia, summer 2010, a few months before the Jasmine Revolution—the beginning of the Arab Spring: Farah is 18 years-old and her family already sees her as a future doctor. But she doesn't think the same way. She has a passion for life, discovers love and her city by night, and, most dangerous of all, sings in a rock band with a political message in its music.

“DISTURBING THE PEACE” Saturday/Sunday 2/11-12/17

“DISTURBING THE PEACE” follows a group of former enemy combatants - Israeli soldiers from the most elite units, and Palestinian fighters, many of whom served years in prison - who have come together to challenge the status quo and say "enough". The film traces their transformational journeys from soldiers committed to armed battle to non-violent peace activists.

“AFTER THE STORM” Saturday/Sunday 2/25-26/17

“AFTER THE STORM” is from director Hirokazu Koreeda (“OUR LITTLE SISTER”) and is about a divorced man reveling in his past glory as a prize-winning author while wasting the money he makes as a private detective on gambling to the point he is barely able to pay any child support. After his father’s death, his aging mother and beautiful ex-wife seem to be moving on with their lives without him. Renewing contact with his initially distrusting family, he struggles to take back control of his existence and to find a lasting place in the life of his young son…..until a stormy summer night.

“BABUSHKAS OF CHERNOBYL” Saturday/Sunday 3/4-5/17

“THE BABUSHKAS OF CHERNOBYL” is an affectionate portrait of an indomitable group of women who, after the 1986 Chernobyl disaster and evacuation, returned to the exclusion zone surrounding the nuclear power plant and have resided there—semi-officially, for years.