[cinemaexp] Re: Bill and Peace Officer and Reminder about the screenings for "THE GOLDEN DREAM" and "BOUNCE: HOW THE BALL TAUGHT THE WORLD TO PLAY"

  • From: "Joel Johnson" <joel_johnson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <cinemaexp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Nov 2015 14:58:11 -0500

Bill, thank you for your feedback on "PEACE OFFICER." Alice and I saw the
film on Saturday. We, too, found it to be a very important film about how
and why policing has changed. The reality is that these changes seem to have
made it much more dangerous even for law-abiding citizens. While we tend to
hear a lot about the racial component in police confrontations, the film
addresses this as an exacerbating factor that makes the changes in police
procedures even more volatile. All of the incidents specifically addressed
in the film involve white police officers and white civilians. I found Dub
Lawrence a very genial and trustworthy guide and a compelling investigator
of the incidents. I think people will learn a lot about these issues from
the film. The issues are, of course, very intense and there is very
disturbing footage of incidents in which people were killed. It is possible
that we could have some individuals who might respond in usual and
distressing ways. If we decide to include the film, we would need to be very
intentional and thoughtful in preparing our audience for what the film will
show and in how we handle the post-film discussion. Bill is correct that the
film didn't seem to be particularly interested in the military experience of
the police officers. While many retired military do seem to segue to police
careers, it was not always clear which of those involved in the specific
incidents had a military background or combat experience. The only time
military service was specifically included in the story was in telling about
one of the offender/victims of a police raid. Again this experience was not
cited in helping to explain his actions, though there was some
circumstantial evidence suggesting that it may have been a significant
factor in his mental health. He had lost a job with the IRS and his family
had helped him get a job at Wal-Mart. The reason police wanted to break in
and search his home was that they wanted to investigate him as a marijuana
dealer (he was growing a significant amount of marijuana, but without any
evidence that he sold it to others). Anyways a scenario in which he
suffered from PTSD from his military career which affected his work capacity
and for which he self-medicated with marijuana doesn't seem a major stretch.
In the face of a real home invasion and personal safety threat, his violent
behavior in response certainly could have been affected by his military
service. While military service and how that affects people certainly could
be part of the discussion, I think we may want to focus on the changes in
police procedures and how that intersects with our constitutional
protections and the presumption of innocence. Obviously, we have a lot to
discuss about including this film and how we choose to discuss it with our
audience. Any suggestions for possible resources for a discussion would be
helpful.

We will be showing "THE GOLDEN DREAM" on Monday at 10:00 am and then we
will show "BOUNCE: HOW THE BALL TAUGHT THE WORLD TO PLAY" on Wednesday
morning at 10:00 am followed by our regular meeting.

Hope to see you all there.

Joel