[cinemaexp] Bill and Peace Officer

  • From: Clif Graves <cgraves@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cinemaexp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2015 18:51:19 -0500

What follows is a Dammaged message to the list from from william jefferson. I think the list serve may deliver a repaired copy. To make sure that his message didn't get lost here is the text. Bill, the issue looks like it is resolved so future messages to the list should work as expected.
Clif

Hi All, Julie and I attended an afternoon screening of Peace Officer at the Frontier Theatre/tavern/restaurant on Wednesday. Both the movie and the venue - which Julie had visited before - get our = unequivocal yes votes. I should add that, during a = long and very pleasant conversation with the manager and his booker in = the aftermath, they both enthusiastically recommended Bounce. They said that not only is it, as the trailer suggests, a fun movie, = but that it also sold out most of their screenings. Anyway, with regard to Peace Officer, I wont try to suggest = that it isnt hard - though it mostly steers clear of gratuitous = images - or that it is for everybody. But I would contend that its = clarity and, especially, its relevance carry a vitality that is both = powerful and gripping. I dont think it necessary to point to yesterdays news = out of Oakland, since hardly a day goes by here in Maine as elsewhere, = without an incident involving domestic violence, followed by a = disproportionate - and often, as the film documents copiously, more = deadly police reaction. I wont burden you with detail, but I took copious notes and = will be happy to address any questions you may have. My only complaint = is that the film starts off almost immediately with video footage of the = incident, involving the primary subjects ( Dub = Lawrence) son-in-law, that holds for several seconds on a camera pause = screen, which made both of us think there must be a problem in the = projection booth, until it began to play. Otherwise, it is well edited = and engaging; Dub Lawrence is a compelling and complex = character - not your usual talking head. Other expert = witnesses, along with victims and officers, provide more than adequate = perspective. Julie also felt disappointed that the filmmakers chose not to directly = address the fact that many of the peace officers, both = onscreen and off, are vets of American wars and almost certainly = suffering from the kinds of trauma - which I will readily concur - might = precipitate inappropriate reactions in potentially violent = confrontations. My own feeling is that the issue is certainly available = in this film, obliquely if not otherwise, for those perceptive enough to = take it in, and that PTSD, while certainly part of the mix, probably = deserves a movie of its own. Both Julie and I, like all of you, I am certain, feel very strongly that = the current frequency and ferocity of domestic violence incidence needs = addressing directly, and in every forum available, and I believe this = film would provide a very useful starting point. Obviously, the two of = us have lots of experience in the two spheres that bump up against each = other in Peace Officer" and in our culture, and wed be = happy to participate in any sort of discussion following screening(s) if = you choose to include this film. Meanwhile, Peace Officer continues through Sunday at = the Frontier, located at Fort Andross, the former mill adjacent to the = bridge from Brunswick to Topsham. Its a little hairy to get = into their parking lot, which is behind the building, just before the = bridge as you head toward Topsham (just past the bridge coming the other = way). But its a very pleasant restaurant/theatre; the food is = good, theres a full service bar, and you can take both food and = drinks into the theatre, where there are pub style tables fronting comfy = seats. Im embarrassed to say that I - who many years ago used = to pre-screen films for the owner of the - not nearly as nice - = Eveningstar Cinema just down Maine St., knew not of the Frontier. = Needless to say, Well be back. On another front, Julie and I closed on her family farmhouse in Buxton = yesterday and, anxious to discontinue paying for the storage unit in = Oakland that Ive been maintaining, I contracted with movers for = the soonest they could take my stuff. The only day they could fit me in = is Monday, so I wont be able to make the next meeting. Sorry. - Bill