[cinci_dads] Re: Dads Night Out - July 20 or 21- Blue Jacket Outdoor Drama

  • From: Niewierowski <nski@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cinci_dads@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 12:11:59 -0700 (PDT)

 Hey Mike,
I appreciate your input, what I do need to know is if your attending this event?
rick n-ski
Mike Busam <mjb@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: If you'll pardon a long book report....
I've heard "Blue Jacket" is a pretty good show. The play was written by Allan
W. Eckert and based on what are thought to be actual events about a white kid
from West Virginia with the improbable name of Marmaduke Van Swearingen, who
was captured in 1771 by the Shawnee, adopted and eventually became a war chief.
There's a bit of controversy at present about whether Blue Jacket really was of
European decent, and Eckert has been on the defensive for his role in
popularizing the story, but either way, the story is interesting--and indeed,
*someone* named Blue Jacket really existed.  The story of Blue Jacket is also
detailed (along with other historical figures and episodes) in a number of
books Eckert wrote, including "That Dark And Bloody River," which is about the
settling of the Ohio River and Ohio, with an emphasis on southern Ohio (much of
it takes place in our area), "The Frontiersmen," which has plenty of stories
about Daniel Boone and Simon Kenton, and "A Sorrow in My Heart," about
Tecumseh, who was born in the Xenia / Yellow Springs area.  Eckert calls these
books "historical narratives," and while they read like novels, the books are
copiously end-noted, etc., and except for a cases where the original sources he
relied on proved to be bogus--for instance, he tells how Tecumseh fell in love
with a white woman in "The Frontiersman," but when he wrote an entire book
about Tecumseh years later he discovered his 18th century source (the woman's
diary) for the love affair was pure fiction, a lie made up to get
attention--the books are considered to be accurate accounts of the history of
that period. In any case, there's plenty of hatchetings and scalpings and gun
battles and amazing escapes and rescues, tales of bravery, cowardice, cruelty,
etc., and the reading is never dull, though it is, admittedly, often rather
depressing. Take care,---Mike Busam----- Original Message ----- From:
Niewierowski To: Cincinnati Dads Sent: Tuesday, June 11, 2002 11:28 AMSubject:
[cinci_dads] Dads Night Out - July 20 or 21- Blue Jacket Outdoor Drama

Howdy All!

I'm planning a Dads Night Out for Saturday or Sunday July 20-20  for the

Outdoor Drama Blue Jacket in Xenia, Ohio approximately 1.5 hours away.

the Drama starts at 8 p.m. and ends around 10:30 p.m., this doesn't

include trave time.  Ticket prices for Saturday are $15 for the show and $8.95

for the frontier dinner prior to the show. Sunday Ticket prices are $9.00 for
the

show and $8.95 for the frontier dinner. The Drama contains violence and loud
noises

and considered inappropriate for little children.

 If interested I need a firm commitment,  MONEY for the tickets in advanced

no later than June 22nd.

 Again, NO MONEY, NO TICKETS.

For further info, check-out their web site ; www.bluejacketdrama.com

Please e-mail or call me if you have further questions.

rick n-ski