[cinci_dads] Re: Dads Night Out - July 20 or 21- Blue Jacket Outdoor Drama

  • From: "Mike Busam" <mjb@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <cinci_dads@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 16:58:29 -0400

If you'll pardon a long book report.... I've heard "Blue Jacket" is a pretty
good show. The play was written by Allan W. Eckert and based on what are
thought to be actual events about a white kid from West Virginia with the
improbable name of Marmaduke Van Swearingen, who was captured in 1771 by the
Shawnee, adopted and eventually became a war chief. There's a bit of
controversy at present about whether Blue Jacket really was of European decent,
and Eckert has been on the defensive for his role in popularizing the story,
but either way, the story is interesting--and indeed, *someone* named Blue
Jacket really existed.

The story of Blue Jacket is also detailed (along with other historical figures
and episodes) in a number of books Eckert wrote, including "That Dark And
Bloody River," which is about the settling of the Ohio River and Ohio, with an
emphasis on southern Ohio (much of it takes place in our area), "The
Frontiersmen," which has plenty of stories about Daniel Boone and Simon Kenton,
and "A Sorrow in My Heart," about Tecumseh, who was born in the Xenia / Yellow
Springs area.

Eckert calls these books "historical narratives," and while they read like
novels, the books are copiously end-noted, etc., and except for a cases where
the original sources he relied on proved to be bogus--for instance, he tells
how Tecumseh fell in love with a white woman in "The Frontiersman," but when he
wrote an entire book about Tecumseh years later he discovered his 18th century
source (the woman's diary) for the love affair was pure fiction, a lie made up
to get attention--the books are considered to be accurate accounts of the
history of that period. In any case, there's plenty of hatchetings and
scalpings and gun battles and amazing escapes and rescues, tales of bravery,
cowardice, cruelty, etc., and the reading is never dull, though it is,
admittedly, often rather depressing.

Take care,
---Mike Busam