[cifnmedia]

  • From: "Wilcox, Christopher M" <cmwilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "CIFN LIST" <cifnmedia@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2003 02:31:24 -0600

Fatal blast rocks neighborhood

By John Garcia <http://abclocal.go.com/wls/aboutus/bio/>
November 6, 2003 (Niles) - A powerful house explosion rocked suburban
Niles Thursday night, killing one person in the home, and frightening
many witnesses. The force of the blast sent debris flying across the
street into a busy mall parking lot.

It happened on Greenwood Avenue in Niles.

Firefighters from 11 communities poured water on the home. Witnesses
were shaken from the explosion. Several were driving by when they heard
it, and saw debris fly in front of them, some of it landing across busy
Greenwood Street in the mall parking lot.

"Really scared. Like I said, the overhead doors were right in front of
the car and I looked inside and of course the ball of fire went down and
then there was a big flame coming out of the garage," said one witness.

"All I saw was smoke and fire just everywhere. It was unbelievable. It
shook my car."

Firefighters say intense heat and the unstable structure kept them from
going inside the house to fight the flames and to search for any
victims. They eventually discovered the body of one victim inside the
structure.

While the fire had all the characteristics of a natural gas explosion,
it may take time to determine the cause.

JPEG image