[cifnmedia] Re: Volunteer Firefighter Job Protection Act

  • From: "MARCO" <MISOME@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <cifnmedia@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 18:01:36 -0400

As for ems if you have an emt license from another state and can challenge
the state test to get a license.  but as fore fire fighting they have no
program where you can get a michigan ff1 cert. if you come from another
state and you want to fight fires you have to take the ff1 course thru this
state. before our current ff1 program they had a program with less hours its
now called the old program but anyways people under that system could sign
up and take a challenge test for the current program without taking classes.
but they would take the written test and hands on.

i will get back to you a guy on my dept is a state supervisor for our area
for the michigan fire fighters training council and you could give me a for
sure answer if they allow another fire fighter with a ff1 cert from a
different to challenge the test without taking classes.

marc
----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Sean & Kimberly Aaron" <cifn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <cifnmedia@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, August 03, 2004 5:29 PM
Subject: [cifnmedia] Re: Volunteer Firefighter Job Protection Act


> Marc,
>
> Does Michigan except Maryland Training? reason I am asking is I have a
friend that I was in the fire dept. w/ in Maryland and he moved and is now
living in Lansing actually East Lansing Michigan, He told me that he tried
to get on a department and they would not except Maryland fire training just
like Illinois won't except it.. can you fill me in a little about that?
thanks
>
>
> Sean A. Aaron (CIFN*1)
> Central Illinois Fire Network
> cifn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> www.geocities.com/central_illinois_firenet
>
>
>
> --- "MARCO" <MISOME@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> maybe the problem is that illinois the governemnt needs better laws for
the
> job of fire fighter. i know what you guys are talking about. i was on a
dept
> near decatur for a few years, and was no ff1 class to send you to. you
just
> learned on the job which is not right. but that was not my fault it was
the
> govt. they should have a law if anything that all fire fighters must be
ff1
> then that would force the counties there to have day and night  classes.
>
>  the only other thing i can say is that like before michigan does not mess
> around on that. because before they even think about sending a new guy in
on
> a fire he has to hold a ff1 cert from the state fire fighters training
> council so in a good way it forces the counties to offer classes in the
> night and evening.  i just don't see why you need a law so you can have
time
> off for class. we have a very good system in michigan and there is no need
> for something like that in our state because everyone gets to class
because
> they want to and they make time for it.
>
> i think ifsi needs to take a better role in the state to make sure all ff
> get trained and they were not doing that when i lived there. it was always
> up to the fire dept to make sure you have ff1 well if they made it a law
> then that would push the counties to offer more classes.
>
> in my county every fall they offer a ff1 and 2 academy and then in the
> spring they will do a single class of ff1 or 2 depending on what is
needed.
> and it works all classes or open for day or evening and thats because the
> chiefs in the county force the cnty fire assoc to put those classes on.
>
> maybe the chiefs in your counties should push the county fire assoc there
to
> have more class time so everyone can make it.
>
> sorry if i made anyone mad but it just seems like that in michigan we
don't
> have any problems with people getting to class. also here every year we
get
> a book from the state showing where the different classes will be held in
> each county so if you miss one and can goto another county to take it. but
> being from ill for 24 years i can say that the state has never pushed for
> education for ff except for city depts. you guys should push them for a
law
> that everyone has ff1 that way everyone will be educated.
>
> thanks again for a great converison i guess not everything works well for

> each state just glad my state is proactive and gives us the training we
need
> and has a dept that is serious about and they stay on top of it.  in two
> weeks that state offered us to goto the fire academy in maryland only
thing
> my dept had to pay was 185 for bus and meals, and we have 5 guys going. i
> had never seen il when i was on offered to send us to maryland.
>
> thanks again marc
> ----- Original Message ----- 
> From: <hollywoodfire822@xxxxxxxx>
> To: <cifnmedia@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Cc: <cifnmedia@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Sent: Tuesday, August 03, 2004 12:17 PM
> Subject: [cifnmedia] Re: Volunteer Firefighter Job Protection Act
>
>
> >
> > Marc,
> >
> > I realized when some of us sat down and came up with this idea that it
> would be an up hill battle, on all fronts.  Yes, I can see your point
about
> employers.  But...when something happens at your factory, it is that same
> employeer that will look at you for help.  And why, because you are a
> firefighter.  They will never ask what your training is or what
> certification level you are.  They will just expect you to know what to do
> because you are a firefighter!  Our whole point when we brougt this up was
> not to figure out a way to get more time off, it was to keep up on the
> overwhelming training that we a now required to do.  Yes, I agree, if you
> want to be a part of something you have to make a commitment, but what
about
> those thousands of people out there, thinking "I would like to help,I
really
> would, but I can't get the time".  We have an untapped resource of people
> that we as the emergency services need to reach out to or every small town
> department will be out of business in
> >   the next ten years.
> >
> > But as far as the training, let me give you an example of why we started
> looking at this.  The state of Illinois is wanting to start requiring each
> county to have a hazmat team.  While we all know that we were suppose to
> have this years ago, they are just now getting around to doing it.  Back
> then, departments were able to do an Operations, Tech A, and Tech B class
> one night a week for a year and throw in a couple a Saturdays for
hands-on.
> Now, with all of this rush, Ops, Tech A and Tech B can ONLY (per OSFM and
> IEMA) be taught either as a 5 day straight (daytime) class or two 3-day
> weekends.  Recently our county put 15 guys through Ops.  We asked about a
> night class, for those of us that work afternoons and weekends, and were
> told no.  Afterwards, when asked who would be available on a Monday at
0900
> if we had an incident, four hands were raised!  The same four guys that
> asked about doing a night class.  Of the 15 Ops, only one does not have a
> M-F 8-4 job.  The same can be
> >  said for firefighting and other skills.  As far as the comparison of
> nurses, doctors, and law clerks: nurses can get training through there
> facility during normal business hours (I know, I have helped teach some of
> those classes). And just how many doctors and law offices are open on the
> weekends and after 6pm.  I think that there is a big difference.  Now do
you
> see why we think this is important
> >
> > Rod Stewart
> > Taylor Springs Fire Department
> > Taylor Springs IL
> >
> > 9-11-01:Never forget or fallen brother firefighters
> >
> > ________________________________________________________________
> > The best thing to hit the Internet in years - Juno SpeedBand!
> > Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
> > Only $14.95/ month - visit www.juno.com to sign up today!
> >
> >
>
>
>
>
>
> _____________________________________________________________
> Get email for your site ---> http://www.everyone.net
>
>
>



Other related posts: