[cifnmedia] Red Cross aids victims of fire

  • From: <gmcgrath@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <cifnmedia@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,"BRAD DIETRICK" <badleybreak@xxxxxxxxx>,"Brad Dietrick" <bradfurniturefirst@xxxxxxxxxxx>,"Sean Aaron" <cifn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 13:22:09 -0500

                        - Stocks
                        - Travel Info
                        - TV Listings
                        - Weather
                        - Web Directory
                        - Wedding Planning
                        - White Pages
                        - Yellow Pages

                  Published: Mar 18, 2004 - 08:03:39 pm EST
                  Red Cross aids victims of fire
                  By Pete Macinta, Daily Banner

                        Cambridge RFC Tower 1 remained in position as
firefighters ventilated the second floor and attic of a home on Hughlett Street
in which a second floor bedroom caught fire Wednesday evening. Daily
Banner/Pete Macinta

                  CAMBRIDGE - The American Red Cross was summoned by Cambridge
Rescue Fire Company (RFC) to help relocate a family of five after a fire
destroyed a second-floor bedroom Tuesday evening. RFC responded to battle the
upstairs blaze at 704 Hughlett St. after being alerted at 5:12 p.m.

                  "We got on location; had smoke coming from the rear of the
house. There was one room, a bedroom on fire upstairs. The room was completely
destroyed," First Assistant Chief Calvin Stack said.

                  As a result of the incident, a young woman nine months
pregnant was transported to Easton Memorial Hospital to be examined.

                  The fire, declared accidental, was investigated by the State
Fire Marshal's Office and Cambridge RFC. It began when a candle fell on a bed.

                  "Evidently it was in a plastic cup. The flame got to the cup,
melted the cup, fell off the stand, and onto the bed," Mr. Stack said.

                  He continued, "They threw a blanket over it, and tried to put
it out. The fire spread so they shut the door and ran."

                  "They did a very good job and got out of there," he added.

                  Also responding to the scene was Linkwood-Salem Volunteer
Fire Company. Approximately 45 firefighters were on hand. RFC cleared the scene
by 6:15 p.m.

                  Staff writer Pete Macinta can be reached at (410) 228-3728 or
by email at petemacinta@xxxxxxxxxx

                        E-mail this story Back to Index Printer Friendly
Version

            Want more local stories?

            Click here to go to our Archives. Type in a key word like the same
of your town where it asks for "word one".  Then click "Start Search" to see
other stories that have included your key word.

            Blogs for & about local issues, groups, teams

            Click here to go to our community blogs index page.  Have your say
or just sit back to read opinions and observations from your neighbors about
public issues, our schools, community groups and local sports teams!

            Area organizations are on newszap.com

            Click here to go to our Community Contacts pages.  Type in your
town where it asks for a "city".  Then click "Search Now".

            Want regional classified ads?

            Click here to go to our regional Classified Ads.

            All Rights Reserved - Independent Newspapers, Inc. - click for INI
info

            Privacy Policy
            Users wishing to obtain permission to link to Newszap, or reprint
or reproduce any materials should e-mail: feedback@xxxxxxxxxxxx

GIF image

JPEG image

JPEG image