[cifnmedia] RFC rescues two in rollover

  • From: <gmcgrath@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Sean Aaron" <cifn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Brad Dietrick" <bradfurniturefirst@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <cifnmedia@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2004 23:10:51 -0400

                        - Stocks
                        - Travel Info
                        - TV Listings
                        - Weather
                        - Web Directory
                        - Wedding Planning
                        - White Pages
                        - Yellow Pages

                  Published: Jul 25, 2004 - 07:52:00 pm EDT
                  RFC rescues two in rollover
                  By Pete Macinta, Daily Banner

                        Emergency crews from Cambridge RFC worked to rescue two
people trapped in a Chevrolet S10 Pickup involved Saturday in a collision at
the intersection of Race and Muir Streets. Daily BannerPhoto/Pete Macinta

                  CAMBRIDGE-Traffic was disrupted Saturday afternoon in
downtown Cambridge when a Mercury Sable and a Chevrolet S10 pickup collided at
the intersection of Race and Muir Streets. The impact caused the entrapment of
two people after the pickup to rolled on its' passenger side.

                  Emergency equipment from Cambridge Rescue Fire Company
standing by for the boat races at Great Marsh Park responded to the incident
approximately 12:15p.m.

                  As City Police secured the area, emergency personnel
stabilized the pickup by ropes and wooden chocks.

                  After the occupants were covered with a cloth for protection,
the shattered windshield was cut and removed in less than a minute.

                  Emergency personnel then cut the "A" posts of the vehicle and
soon removed the top of the cab. The driver's side door was also forced open.

                  Around 12:36p.m., the female occupant was removed from the
vehicle and received medical attention. The male occupant was removed three
minutes later.

                  "They had their seatbelts on", Cambridge RFC First Assistant
Chief Calvin Stack said.

                  In regard to the pickup falling on its' side, he said, "The
car hit the pickup in the rear, and just flipped it."

                  He said that both occupants of the pickup, and the driver of
the Mercury Sable, were transported to Dorchester General Hospital.

                  Some pedestrians almost became victims of the mishap.

                  "I was about ready to cross but then my mom pulled me back",
said Melissa Currence.

                  The intersection is one of two in downtown Cambridge with
flashing red and amber signals.

                  One bystander gave his opinion of the collision.

                  "The City of Cambridge is the fault of this accident today.
They need to fix them lights", said Corinthian Tilghman.

                  He continued, "I almost had an accident on this corner. We
pay enough taxes for those lights to be fixed."

                  Staff writer Pete Macinta can be reached by email at
petemacinta@xxxxxxxxx or phone at (410) 228-3728.

                        E-mail this story Back to Index Printer Friendly
Version

            Want more local stories?

            Click here to go to our Archives. Type in a key word like the same
of your town where it asks for "word one".  Then click "Start Search" to see
other stories that have included your key word.

            Blogs for & about local issues, groups, teams

            Click here to go to our community blogs index page.  Have your say
or just sit back to read opinions and observations from your neighbors about
public issues, our schools, community groups and local sports teams!

            Area organizations are on newszap.com

            Click here to go to our Community Contacts pages.  Type in your
town where it asks for a "city".  Then click "Search Now".

            Want regional classified ads?

            Click here to go to our regional Classified Ads.

            All Rights Reserved - Independent Newspapers, Inc. - click for INI
info

            Privacy Policy
            Users wishing to obtain permission to link to Newszap, or reprint
or reproduce any materials should e-mail: feedback@xxxxxxxxxxxx

GIF image

JPEG image

JPEG image