[cifnmedia] Philly Mayor cutting fire department

  • From: Sean & Kimberly Aaron <cifn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: CIFN LIST <cifnmedia@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 May 2004 21:34:37 -0700 (PDT)

Please send this to everyone you can.

Thank you,

Dave Kearney

Recording Secretary

Local 22 Philadelphia Fire Fighters’ Union

Is your fire company closing?

How much is your life worth to Mayor Street?

Say NO to Fire Department cutbacks!

The Fire Department is ranked #1 in the Mayor’s citizen’s satisfaction survey.

The Mayor’s proposed cuts

·        Reduce staffing on all Ladder Companies

·        Close 11 Companies, 4 Engines and 7 Ladders

·        Reduce the Department staffing by nearly 250 Firefighters

Results of the proposed cuts

·        Less Fire Protection and Fire Protection

·        Reduced rescue operations by ladder companies

·        Delayed medical responses by Engines and Ladder companies

·        Less Firefighters responding from longer distances (seconds save
lives)

·        While the firehouses may not close, some will have reduced
firefighting capabilities in your neighborhood.

·        Reduce community service

These proposed budget cuts will result in the Fire Departments inability to
fulfill its Mission Statement, which is to deliver efficient and effective
protection for the purpose of minimizing the loss of life and property.

Don’t let the Mayor close fire companies

Don’t let the Mayor balance his budget by jeopardizing your life.

Demand the protection he promised during the election.

Over the last three years:

FIRE RESPONSE TIMES HAVE INCREASED

MEDICAL RESPONSE TIMES HAVE INCREASED

THE NUMBER OF EMERGENCIES WE RESPOND TO HAVE INCREASED

THE FIRE DEPARTMENT’S ROLE IN HOMELAND DEFENSE HAS EXPANDED

Yet, the Mayor wants to cut the Fire Department’s size and funding even though
his own Fire Commissioner has stated, “I don’t have any areas where I think
we are bloated. If anything I think we need help in certain areas”

Fire spreads in minutes and smoke kills in seconds. We only have four minutes
to start a heart beating again. The Mayor wants to make drastic cuts to the
Fire Department that will close fire companies and increase response times.

HOW LONG WILL IT TAKE FOR HELP TO ARRIVE?

Please call the members of our City Government and tell them you will not
accept any cuts in Fire Protection

Mayor John Street  215-686-2181

Fire Commissioner Harold Hairston    215-686-1300

Frank DiCicco 215-686-3458

David Cohen 215-686-3446

Anna Verna 215-686-3412

Juan Ramos 215-686-3420