[cifnmedia] Pearl firehouse blaze suspicious

  • From: Sean & Kimberly Aaron <cifn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: CIFN LIST <cifnmedia@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 06:31:48 -0700 (PDT)

Pearl firehouse blaze suspicious

By Beth Zumwa;t July 29, 2004

The Illinois State Fire Marshal's office is calling a Saturday afternoon fire
at the Pearl Firehouse of suspicious nature.

"We called the fire marshal's office to investigate," said Sheriff Paul Petty,
who said that is routine in many structure fires. "He said it is definitely
suspicious."

The fire was discovered around 1 p.m. Saturday afternoon.

Conrad Renfrow said a person he knew only as "Gail" came to him and told him
the firehouse was on fire.

Renfrow, a fireman, said he immediately went to fire chief Alan Lemerande and
the two were able to gain entry into the firehouse and save the department's
two trucks.

Most of the damage was contained to the meeting room portion of the building,
specifically the northeast corner of the building.

According to Frank Heavner, a member of the Pearl Fire Protection District, the
building was insured under a policy carried by the village of Pearl and will be
repaired. "We use it for a place to vote and for township meetings," said
Heavner.

Assisting at the scene were fire departments from Spring Creek, East Pike and
North Calhoun.

©Pike Press 2004

Sean A. Aaron (CIFN*1)
Central Illinois Fire Network