[cifnmedia] More NIMS Info

  • From: Sean & Kimberly Aaron <cifn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cubsfreak@xxxxxxxxxxx, hollywoodfire822@xxxxxxxx,cops_wyfe@xxxxxxxxx, dougt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, cmwilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxx,davidemt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, bover@xxxxxxxxx, catten@xxxxxxxxxxxx,firedog66@xxxxxx, pokie60@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Kb9liq@xxxxxxxxx,mrradio@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, firenrescue3308@xxxxxxxxxxx,pstubbs8558@xxxxxxx, aems_61@xxxxxxxxxxx, deters454@xxxxxxxxx,CIFN LIST <cifnmedia@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 02:18:21 -0800 (PST)

Press Releases

Fact Sheet: National Incident Management System (NIMS)

March 1, 2004

U. S. Department of Homeland Security Secretary Tom Ridge today announced
approval of the National Incident Management System (NIMS),  the Nation's first
standardized management approach that unifies Federal, state, and local lines
of government for incident response.

NIMS makes America safer, from our Nation to our neighborhoods:

NIMS establishes standardized incident management processes, protocols, and
procedures that all responders -- Federal, state, tribal, and local -- will use
to coordinate and conduct response actions.  With responders using the same
standardized procedures, they will all share a common focus, and will be able
to place full emphasis on incident management when a homeland security incident
occurs -- whether terrorism or natural disaster.  In addition, national
preparedness and readiness in responding to and recovering from an incident is
enhanced since all of the Nation's emergency teams and authorities are using a
common language and set of procedures.

Advantages of NIMS:

NIMS incorporates incident management best practices developed and proven by
thousands of responders and authorities across America. These practices,
coupled with consistency and national standardization, will now be carried
forward throughout all incident management processes: exercises, qualification
and certification, communications interoperability, doctrinal changes,
training, and publications, public affairs, equipping, evaluating, and incident
management. All of these measures unify the response community as never before.

NIMS was created and vetted by representatives across America including:
Federal government,
States,
Territories,
Cities, counties, and townships,