[cifnmedia] Michigan man found after 40 hours in overturned car

  • From: "george mcgrath" <gmcgrath@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Sean Aaron" <cifn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <cifnmedia@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "BRAD DIETRICK" <badleybreak@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Aug 2004 10:20:54 -0700

Michigan man found after 40 hours in overturned car

Associated Press

BERTRAND TWP. - A man remained hospitalized Friday following an automobile
accident in which he spent more than 40 hours suspended upside down in his
overturned car, trapped by his seat belt.

A passer-by discovered the vehicle, with driver Jake Kepler still inside, in a
cornfield near the Indiana state line after noticing some mowed-down cornstalks.

Kepler, 19, of Niles was in serious condition Friday at Memorial Hospital of
South Bend. Police said he suffered internal injuries.

The accident happened at 6:40 p.m. Tuesday in Berrien County's Bertrand
Township, just south of Buchanan. Kepler remained trapped in his car until Greg
Sebasty, 30, of Buchanan found him at 10:47 a.m. Thursday, according to the
Berrien County Sheriff's Department.

Sebasty said after noticing tire tracks heading into the field's flattened
cornstalks, he saw a white fender on the car, most of which was hidden by the
8-foot-high stalks surrounding it.

"I wiped the window off, and I did not know what I would see in there," he
said. "I saw him upside down, hanging from the seat belt ... with his legs out
the window."

The sheriff's department said Kepler's family filed a missing-person report
Wednesday.

Copyright 2004 Lansing State Journal Use of this site signifies your agreement
to the
Terms of Service (updated 12.20.02)