[cifnmedia] MO sniper attack on FF's and Medic

  • From: Sean & Kimberly Aaron <cifn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: CIFN LIST <cifnmedia@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 13:50:15 -0800 (PST)

Firefighters Tell Of Wounded Paramedic's Rescue
MAST Releases Audio Tapes Of Emergency Calls

POSTED: 6:14 p.m. CST February 25, 2004
UPDATED: 11:06 a.m. CST February 26, 2004

Story by Kansas City One Channel

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- The firefighters who responded to the Grandview Road
explosion on Monday were prepared to fight a fire, and -- if necessary -- to
save lives. But they didn't at first realize they were being fired upon.

"At first, it sounded like firecrackers," firefighter David Bradley Jr., said.

Bradley, along with fellow firefighters Marvin Donaldson, Sean McKarnin,
Stephen Johnson, and captains Patrick Martin and Phil Atwood (pictured, left)
thought ammunition was exploding inside the burning house.

"By that time we hear popping sounds and something hitting the truck. And some
civilians said that he's shooting at you," said firefighter Stephen Johnson.

The firefighters saw 39-year-old paramedic Mary Seymour go down, struck in the
chest by two rounds as the barrage of bullets continued to pierce their fire
engines. They knew they had to save Seymour (pictured, below right), but the
gunfire from the home was virtually relentless.

So the firefighters coordinated with police officers, who returned fire to
provide cover for Seymour's rescuers. All six firefighters made a mad dash to
save the paramedic.

"The lady with the gun -- the police officer -- we kind of got a nod from her
that, OK, we're going. And we all went," Martin said.

Dodging heavy-caliber gunfire, they sprinted for about 30 yards before reaching
Seymour where she lay in a ditch.

"She was not in good shape -- no she was not. But we did hear her make a couple
of sounds, and I heard one of the guys tell her to open her eyes for us and
blink them, and she did that," Donaldson said.

McKarnin said the group worked like a well-oiled machine to save Seymour.

"Everybody just grabbed a part of her, lifted her up and took off -- and like
Pat said, she was light as a feather. And, you know, just got back across that
open space as fast as possible -- back to where truck 15 was. I started feeling
a little bit better not felling so exposed," he said.

As the fire blazed behind them, Seymour was placed in an ambulance and rushed
to a hospital.

Johnson, Donaldson, Bradley, McKarnin, Martin and Atwood all agreed that they
are not heroes -- they were just doing their job. The one message they want
people to hear is that this is what happens when people call 911. Every day,
firefighters, paramedics and police officers put their lives on the line.

MAST Releases Audio Tapes Of Calls For Help
Authorities have released the audio tapes from emergency medical personnel who
called for help when they came under gunfire Monday.

One paramedic, 39-year-old Mary Seymour, was shot twice in the chest. Her
condition was upgraded to fair on Wednesday.

Seymour can be heard on the recording calmly calling for police help when the
shots begin.

"Forty-one ... 41 ... call P.D. Shots being fired across the street," Seymour
tells the dispatcher.

A moment later, Seymour's partner says, "Personnel down, get me another unit."

The dispatcher relays the information to police, telling them a medic has been
hit. However, no one can get to Seymour because of the continuing gunfire.

"We're being told we can't get to the scene. We cannot move, can't get to the
patient ... can you confirm that?" asks Mike Latta, a field supervisor who
responded to the call. "The shooter is in the woods, somewhere southeast ...
southeast of the house. We can't get very close in. We have no idea where the
shooter is to get our people."

A short time later, police provide cover fire while firefighters rush in to
carry Seymour out. She was removed out of range of the gunfire, and then placed
on another ambulance and transported to a hospital.

Metropolitan Ambulance Services Trust supervisors said they could clearly hear
rapid gunfire over the audio transmissions. They said crime scene investigators
told them their ambulance took more than 30 direct hits.

Copyright 2004 by TheKansasCityChannel.com. All rights reserved. This material
may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Related:
Missouri Medic Shot by Sniper

Images: Kansas City Channel Photos from the Scene

Like This Article? E-Mail This Story to a Friend or Co-Worker

Sean A. Aaron (CIFN*1)
Central Illinois Fire Network
cifn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.geocities.com/central_illinois_firenet