• From: Sean & Kimberly Aaron <cifn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: CIFN LIST <cifnmedia@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 14:50:00 -0700 (PDT)

August 13, 2004

As we rapidly approach hurricane season, the following information, 
advocated by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, should be of 
interest to all our subscribers.

Gerald M. Dworkin, Consultant
Aquatics Safety & Water Rescue
P.O. Box 905
Harrisville, NH 03450

To subscribe or unsubscribe, please access the Lifesaving Resources' 
home page at www.lifesaving.com, and do so in the bottom left corner of 
that page.

WASHINGTON, D.C. - The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission warns of 
dangers from generators, candles, and wet appliances after a natural 
disaster such as a hurricane, tornado, or flood knocks out electricity.

The Commission offers these safety tips: 
Never use a generator indoors, including garages, basements, and 
crawlspaces, even with ventilation.  Exhaust fumes contain high levels 
of carbon monoxide (CO) which can be deadly if inhaled.  Use a portable 
generator outdoors in a dry area away from doors, windows, and vents 
that could allow CO to come indoors.  Never store gasoline in the home 
or near a fuel-burning appliance, such as a natural gas water heater in 
a garage where gasoline fumes could be ignited. 

CPSC has more details about safe use of generators at: 

Plug individual appliances into heavy duty, outdoor-rated extension 
cords and plug the cords into the generator.  Check that the extension 
cords have a wire gauge adequate for the appliance loads.  Make sure 
that each cord is free of cuts or tears and its plug has all three 
prongs, especially a grounding pin. 

Do not use electrical or gas appliances that have been wet and do not 
turn on damaged appliances because of the hazards of electric shock or 
fire.  Do not use gas appliances that have been submerged because silt 
can make valves inoperable, leading to a gas leak or fire. 

Never use charcoal indoors because burning charcoal produces high levels
 of carbon monoxide that can reach lethal levels in enclosed spaces. 

Make sure the batteries in your smoke alarm and carbon monoxide alarm 
are fresh.  Test these alarms to make sure they are working. 

Exercise caution when using candles.  Use flashlights instead.  If you 
must use candles, do not burn them on or near anything that can catch 
fire.  Keep burning candles away from drafts.  Never leave burning 
candles unattended.  Extinguish candles when you leave the room.

Proudly powered by Subscribe Me Lite (http://www.cgiscriptcenter.com)

Sean A. Aaron (CIFN*1)
Central Illinois Fire Network

Get email for your site ---> http://www.everyone.net

Other related posts: