[cifnmedia] Incident management system to galvanize response

  • From: Sean & Kimberly Aaron <cifn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: CIFN LIST <cifnmedia@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 02:23:54 -0800 (PST)

03/01/04

Incident management system to galvanize response

By William Welsh
Staff Writer

Homeland Security Secretary Tom Ridge said today that all levels of government
might soon use the same procedures to respond to national, regional and local
emergencies.

Ridge unveiled a standardized management approach to such incidents at the
annual conference of the National Association of Counties in Washington. He
called upon county officials to use the system to further domestic security.

“We seek nothing less than the integration of a nation,” Ridge said,
adding, “New people, funds, and technology will not be enough….It will take
hard work, strong partnerships-and a will to unify.”

The National Incident Management Systems, known as NIMS, will serve as a
template for a national response plan and can be used to respond to any
incident, no matter how large or small, Ridge said. What’s more, it can be
used to leverage future technology initiatives, he said.

NIMS incorporates incident management best practices developed by thousands of
first responders and other authorities throughout the nation, Ridge said. The
system’s key components are an incident command system, communications and
information management, preparedness, a joint information system and an
integration center. The system uses common terminology, protocol and processes,
he said.

On a related matter, Ridge acknowledged that local government is still having
difficulty accessing the more than $8 billion the Homeland Security Department
has made available to first responders since the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.

He said that some states haven’t used all of the funds they received in 2002
and many states haven’t used all of the funds they received in 2003. He
pledged to work with the governors and their administrations to ensure that
local governments receive their fair share of the funds.

“I understand we still have some problems getting money out,” Ridge said.
“We are going to simplify the sometimes complicated grant process.”

Sean A. Aaron (CIFN*1)
Central Illinois Fire Network
cifn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.geocities.com/central_illinois_firenet