[cifnmedia] Firefighter Suspended After Being Photographed At Adult Store

  • From: Sean & Kimberly Aaron <cifn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: CIFN LIST <cifnmedia@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2003 01:48:33 -0800 (PST)

Firefighter Suspended After Being Photographed At Adult Store
Second Firefighter Resigns Under Pressure

POSTED: 7:39 p.m. EST December 10, 2003
UPDATED: 7:47 p.m. EST December 10, 2003

Story by The LouisvilleChannel.com

LOUISVILLE -- A local firefighter resigns under pressure and another is
suspended after an encounter with a man taking pictures of adult bookstore
customers.

The incident took place Dec. 3 outside the Pure Pleasure store on Fern Valley
Road, WLKY NewsChannel 32's Andy Alcock reported Wednesday.

Justin Jones, 18, said he went to the bookstore to apply for a part-time job, a
story confirmed by the store manager. But instead of getting a job at Pure
Pleasure, Jones is now in pure agony after being suspended as a recruit for the
Fairdale Fire Department, Alcock reported.

"I'm not out stealing, dealing or killing," Jones said. "I'm out trying to make
a difference, and somebody has to ruin it for me."

Jones said he's wanted to be a firefighter since he was 5 years old, Alcock
reported. His home is peppered with reminders of that goal, including a perfect
attendance award he received as a 14-year-old in a junior program with the Fire
Department. Most recently, he was a recruit-in-training for the Fairdale Fire
Department until he was suspended.

"When they don that Fire Department shirt, the public views them as on duty and
their conduct has to be above reproach," Fairdale Fire Chief Don Wittry said.

John Reneer took pictures of Jones and another volunteer firefighter from
another department outside the bookstore, Alcock reported. According to Reneer,
the men blasted their siren at him, but Jones denies it. Reneer also said Jones
offered an obscene gesture. Jones admitted to it, Alcock reported.

"He was just rude, and I told him I'd listen to him if (he would) reason with
me," Reneer said.

Reneer added that Jones then threatened to take his camera away and threw a cup
of Coke at him while leaving in this car, a claim that Jones denies.

Reneer has caused controversy since summertime, when WLKY first reported that
he was photographing adult-store customers and publishing their pictures on an
anti-porn Web site, Alcock reported. What makes him even more controversial is
that he's a convicted rapist and sex offender.

"The guy should not be out of jail to begin with," Jones said.

Added Reneer: "If they have the legal right to go in there, that's granted to
them by the Constitution and the statutes, the same Constitution gives me the
right to take photos if I want to take photos."

Jones said the case has caused him difficulty beyond the suspension, Alcock
reported.

"I feel real violated about it," he said. "It's slandered my name throughout
the fire service."

Please follow WLKY NewsChannel 32 and TheLouisvilleChannel.com for updates to
this story as they become available.

Copyright 2003 by TheLouisvilleChannel.com. All rights reserved. This material
may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed

Sean A. Aaron (CIFN*1)
Central Illinois Fire Network
cifn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.geocities.com/central_illinois_firenet