[cifnmedia] Fire official resigns

  • From: Sean & Kimberly Aaron <cifn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: CIFN LIST <cifnmedia@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2003 09:15:07 -0800 (PST)

Fire official resigns;
Kerhlikar convicted of DUI in August

Copyright 2003 The State Journal-Register
The State Journal-Register (Springfield, IL)
 December 2, 2003 Tuesday
Correction Appended

A Springfield Fire Department division chief who wrecked his motorcycle last
summer while intoxicated has resigned.
Dan Kerhlikar, 49, stepped down Friday as division chief of fire and rescue.
His salary was $86,320, and he had been with the department for 25 years. "He
no longer works for the Springfield Fire Department as of last Friday, the
28th. At 4:30 (p.m.), he came and signed his papers and he resigned," Fire
Chief Ron Hasara said Monday.

Kerhlikar had been on medical leave since the June 14 accident, in which he
suffered broken vertebrae in his neck and other injuries.
At the time, he was standing in as fire chief while Hasara was out of town for
the weekend. He also was doing a routine stint as "staff member on call," a
duty that requires the person to be available for consultation with battalion
chiefs or to be at major fires if needed.

Police said Kerhlikar crashed his Harley-Davidson motorcycle about 10 p.m. at
11th Street and University Drive. He was taken to St. John's Hospital, where a
blood-serum test showed his blood-alcohol concentration at 0.19 percent. A
whole-blood test showed a BAC of 0.12 percent. A person is considered legally
drunk in Illinois with a BAC of 0.08 percent.

A judge in August sentenced Kerhlikar to a standard first-time-offender
punishment of court supervision and fines. However, Sangamon County court
records show a state trooper ticketed him in April 1998 for DUI, improper lane
usage and not wearing a seat belt. That DUI charge was dismissed for lack of
evidence.

Kerhlikar was promoted in September 2002 from deputy division chief to division
chief of fire/rescue, overseeing firefighting and medical rescue services. He
also was the department's public information officer at the time of the crash.

By going directly from medical leave to resigning, Kerhlikar avoided any
possible disciplinary action or demotions. City officials have declined to say
what, if any, punishment he might have faced.

He did receive a pay raise during the time he was on leave, officials said. As
recently as August, his salary was $85,045, and the firefighters' union
contract called for a raise since then.

"He was able to not have any disciplinary action, or none that we know of, and
he was able to retire with all of his benefits with this additional spike,"
said Ward 7 Ald. Judy Yeager, who noted that the raise and Kerhlikar's
resignation were done legitimately.

"My disdain for that was not that it couldn't be done, but that somebody who
was convicted of drunk driving while he was acting chief of the fire department
should not have been given any additional opportunities but should have been
let go," she said. "It wasn't as if we were putting this man out on a welfare
situation. His benefits were already good."

Hasara said Monday the department has made no policy changes in light of
Kerhlikar's drinking and driving while on duty. He said staff members on call
drive a department-owned duty car that was freed up when the department
purchased new cars for battalion chiefs this year.

"We did that so that staff duty officer will be in that car at all times.
That's probably the only change. And that wasn't because of Dan - it was
because we got the extra cars," Hasara said. "Now they can get to calls and
alarms faster.

"They cannot drink and drive in city vehicles," Hasara added.

"Our policy has always been, and our staff knows it, that if they're on call
they need to be able to respond to a call at any time."

Sean A. Aaron (CIFN*1)
Central Illinois Fire Network
cifn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.geocities.com/central_illinois_firenet