[cifnmedia] FW: [NVFC] EMAIL VIRUS ALERT

  • From: "Randall W. Ruble" <randallruble@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Randall W. Ruble" <randallruble@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 22:29:40 -0600

  _____

From: nvfc-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:nvfc-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of NVFC E-Update
Sent: Monday, March 01, 2004 11:17 AM
To: NVFC E-Update List
Subject: [NVFC] EMAIL VIRUS ALERT

The NVFC has received an email virus which has replicated itself and is
being automatically sent to everyone on our email list.  Many state
governments, associations and businesses have also been affected.  We
apologize for any inconvenience this has caused.  We have corrected the
matter internally, however infected outside sources may be able to mask our
email list and send viruses that appear to be coming from NVFC when in fact
they are not.

Below is a description of the virus along with a link to removal tool
information:

W32.Netsky.B is a mass-mailing worm that uses its own SMTP engine to send
itself to the email addresses it finds when scanning the hard drives and
mapped drives. This worm also searches drives C through Z for folder names
containing "Share" or "Sharing," and then copies itself to those folders.
The Subject, Body, and email attachment vary.

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.netsky.b@xxxxxxx

Symantec Security Response has developed a removal
<http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.netsky@xxxxxxxx
al.tool.html>  tool to clean the infections of W32.Netsky.B@mm.